Problem with Boots on Aqua Deluex Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhino_Portland_Oregon

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Check out these photo's and tell me if anyone else has had this problem with their boots... The suit has been on 8 dives, and was purchased 1 month ago. It's almost as though there is glue comming off the rubber.

It should be known that I am not trying to "blast" USIA, infact I love the suit, and have a new Techniflex on order. I just hope that the techniflex does not have this problem. I know that the boots looking "ratty" will give me problems when I sell it.

It started after the first time I took it out, but got worse when I got home yesterday.

The boots don't leak at all, but they look like hell.

I'm thinking of sending it in for warranty reasons, but is anything really failing?

Thanks,

Jeremy

boot2.jpg

boot3.jpg

boot1.jpg

I'll be following this one. I am about to send my techniflex back for some alterations and I was thinking of adding some boots....

(by the way, the Techniflex is a AWESOME suit)

Wow, that's a new one.

I think what it is is the release agent that is put on the rubber to allow it to come of of the aluminum molds. I've just never seen it look so bad. Those boots were from our old manufacturer, Hunter Dry Suits. We now have the boots made by Norcrosse rubber and I haven't noticed anything like this yet. If the suit is only a month old, send it back in and we will replace them no charge. Let me know.

Thanks Jerry... Do I need to take it to Pacific Watersports where I bought it, or can I take it directly to your factory ( I am only a 10 minute drive from your factory)?

I will email you directly....

Just some follow-up for those who are following the thread:

I took the drysuit to the LDS where I bought it, they are going to have it to USIA in the morning. Jerry emailed me and said that it will only take a few days to fix the problem.

This only strengithens my opinion that USIA is a great company to work with...

Thanks for the fast response, and action.

Hey, you haven't given us the post of your impressions of the Techniflex yet! Be sure to tell us how you set it up- what did you get if you didn't have the boots installed, the Bioflex socks? I'm waiting 'til later this summer, but this should be the suit I'm getting, I haven't seen anything better!
gomi_

PerroneFord:
I'll be following this one. I am about to send my techniflex back for some alterations and I was thinking of adding some boots....

(by the way, the Techniflex is a AWESOME suit)

Well,

I wanted to wait until I had the suit in it's final iteration before giving a review. But I'll give my initial impressions.

The suit is VERY attractive. It arrived in a heavy cordura bag emblazoned with the USIA logo. Very sharp. I ordered the suit in black with red trim. I think they ought to update the web page with this color combination. It really stands out very well.

There was a mix-up in how I wanted the suit cut so it came "fitted" when I wanted it loose, but I can still wear the suit. The accessories that came with it included the zipper wax, inflator hose, neck ring (haven't figured that out yet),talcum powder, some reading materials, and the warranty card.

I picked up the suit at the shop, put on my sweats, and got into the suit. I wrestled with it a bit as it is cut close, but got it on by myself, and got in the pool. Wow, it was great to be DRY. However, I noticed the squeeze on my feet pretty quickly. I had oredered teh bioflex socks rather than boots. I am still considering that choice and I don't know if I want to change or not. The Bioflex socks are very tough.

The "super fabric" covers the knees, elbows, shoulders and some of the arm. its' "tacky" so things don't slide on it. Nice for making sure things don't go anywhere, but makes it challenging getting OUT of your BP/W with the Hog harness.

The valves seem to work very smoothly, and the seals are very nice. Suit is dry as a bone. The wrist covers that fold down over the seals should ensure long life. In fact, my instructor said the seals would rot off before they got damaged by abrasion, and he's right. The neck collar is a bit harder to deal with. It makes it quite difficult to get the seal down far enough on the neck without assistance. I need to practice it more, and perhaps when my suit is cut a little looser, I can get to it myself.

I tried to dive the suit in open water after my evening pool lesson, but that was a miserable failure. Nothing to do with the suit, but I was underweighted and borrowing fins that were ill suited. Sunday, I put the suit back in the pool for several hours of work I needed to do. That went very well, the suit was comfortable, and again dry.

I didn't particuarly care for the pocket options USIA had, as I needed some particular features, so I sent pockets to USIA which they installed for me. VERY nice job and they look magnificent. I also wanted a different P-Valve and I will install that next month. I ordered the suit with the bioflex socks and I am unsure whether I will keep that option or change.

USIA's service and willingness to make this suit right has really won me over. Though my shop is a USIA dealer, I looked at several suits including DUI, Dive Rite, Pinnacle, and USIA. I feel I got the most suit for the money. Though I have to say the Pinnacle was a very close second.

When I get this suit finished I think I am going to be one VERY happy camper. And it will see action all over the Florida Caves as well as the NC wrecks and the Great Lakes.

Kudos to Jerry and the crew at USIA for making a top notch suit at a VERY fair price. I see why you guys are selling these things so fast. It may be the best bargain in a trilam on the market.

gomi_otaku:
Hey, you haven't given us the post of your impressions of the Techniflex yet! Be sure to tell us how you set it up- what did you get if you didn't have the boots installed, the Bioflex socks? I'm waiting 'til later this summer, but this should be the suit I'm getting, I haven't seen anything better!
gomi_

Have to agree with PF, that while I own and dive a Bare (also very nice suit), the Pinnacle Evo2 and USIA Techniflex are among the best looking suits currently on the market, especially given price.

Nice review Perrone, I agree with pretty much every point you make! I love my new suit and with the kind of service USIA gives, it makes their suits just that much more appealing. I won't be the least self conscious diving it at DUI days this coming weekend :)

LOL!!

You should attach the price tag when you go! I bet that would piss them off!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom