Probably the post you guys hate to reply to

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How far away were you? It may be that you were too far away. Get as close as you can, then get a little closer. Ten feet is about max for an effective shot, less with one band (on a woody, anyway)

I would say the snapper was probably 4 feet away from the tip of the gun. tried to get closer but it started to move away.

I recently started spearing as well. I shot my first AJ in the Gulf this past weekend, it was a blast. I have a 42". 2 band JBL, and while it gets the job done, I don't always get full penetration which can lead to lost fish. I wouldn't recommend trying this with bigger fish that could wrap / drag you, but what I do is take the spear and (without holding the fish) push it into the fish as fast as possible. The pressure of the water will slow the fish's movement down and allow the spear to go all the way through so that you can remove it easier and finish the job if it's not already shot. I have to do this often with catfish, but have also found it effective with a Triggerfish and a Grouper.

As far as the bruises from loading it go, that's just part of it at first.. You'll get more comfortable with it as you spear more, but I tighten up my abs, and put the butt right on my pelvic bone.. That helps me alot and makes loading a lot easier.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom