Pro QD+ vs. Genesis Phantom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swoodley

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear what other people on this list think about these two BCD's.

I am finally investing in my own gear (see my questions in the discussion forum for Regs). Trying to decide between the Sequest Pro QD+ and Genesis Phantom. I tried on the Pro QD+ in my local dive shop and loved it. But, I had heard great things about the Genesis Phantom, and wanted to try it out too.

I found a Phantom for good price on DiversDiscount.com and ordered it to try before making a final decision. It was finally delivered today, but I'm not as excited about it as I thought I would be. I actually feel a little squeeze when I manually inflate. But it might just be that I ordered the wrong size.

I also cannot decide over the weight release systems. The Pro QD+ uses integrated weights held by velcro. Easy to get on and easy to release. But I always worry about velcro wearing out -- and loosing the weights! The Phantom has a mechanical buckle instead of velcro. Weight release is no problem. But getting the weight pockets back in takes some effort. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

BTW, I have since found out that leisure pro carries both these BCD's at comparable (and better) price. So price isn't a really big issue here. Thanks in advance for any input!

-Sam W.

If you are thinking of returning the Phantom to DD, make sure you don't get it wet. If it has been in the water they will only give you 75% credit if you return it. If you intend to purchase from LP, double check the warranty. You may have to decide if the savings is worth not having a warranty from the manufacturer.

swoodley,

I used to own the Pro QD (basically a Pro QD+ minus a knife attachment point I think), and I couldn't complain about the quality of it - but the pockets on it are useless. Once you put the weight pockets in, the pockets might as well not be on the BC - nothing will fit in there, and the zippers are high up on your chest and difficult to operate esp. while wearing gloves.

Sold it and got a backplate, which, while a pain to initially set up and adjust, is much more comfortable in the water, and because the wing is on your back, you get zero squeeze regardless of how much air you put in it.

Haven't dived the Phantom, so no advice to offer there :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom