pro-ear mask review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ProEar Report

So .... I got my Pro-Ear mask (panoramic model from Seavenger.com .... ran close to $90 incl shipping ... 45 day return policy). Tried it out in the pool scrubbing algae for about an hour yesterday down to 8'. Ears dry. No leaks on the earcups, but the mask leaks just a bit in the face (that's a problem I have with most masks anyway, perhaps because I sport a short mustache) I did get a short haircut before my hour long pool-dive yesterday, but my hair was longer the day before when I free dove with the mask a few minutes and I had no earcup leakage issues then either.

No equalization issues. You really don't even have to equalize it seems. Occasionally got a loud squeaky door sound in the ear with the perforation. You can hear quite a bit better under water with them .... though it was a bit annoying listening to the pool pump run for an hour. At times it felt as though I needed to put more air in my mask/earcups .... just a matter of learning to exhale more through my nose during regular underwater breathing.

Will try it out next week at Clear Springs down to 40' or so.

Went to see my ENT this morning ... the perforation is still pinhole size (smaller than an ear tube even) & he says that since it's been a year already it's possible the hole could never close without surgery. Showed him the ProEar mask, he'd never seen one. He couldn't see any reason I shouldn't try it and dive with it so long as it works. He didn't think diving with the mask could cause any further enlargement of the perforation or affect any future healing, but that I absolutely shouldn't dive without it so long as the perforation is still there.

I have used the Pro-Ear mask for a few years and have been happy with it. It should keep your ear dry. If you want to take a belt-and-suspenders approach, you may want to back-up the mask with a Doc's Pro Plug ear plug.

A couple of caveats regarding the mask.

1) The little retaining rings which hold the equalization tubes in place can break. The tube won't stay attached if this happens. I have applied small wire ties (zip ties) and/or Rescue tape over the attachment ring points to prevent them from breaking. I once did this while hanging off a dive platform on a boat when the ring let go as I adjusted my mask.

2) The earcups are somewhat fragile. You can crack them if you set weights or a tank on them. I've also noticed that, over time, the earcup frame material seemed to develop fatigue cracks on its own. So watch for this after using the mask for a few years. Running Rescue tape over the earcups solves this problem.

3) The plastic casting which introduces the equalization tube to the face mask chamber is held in place with a plastic nut. It is possible to apply the earcups to a favorite mask by punching small holes in the mask skirt and fastening the earcup assemblies to the mask straps. This very much into DIY territory, so don't complain to me it you screw the pooch doing this. Check the placement on the Pro-Ear mask carefully before attempting this. I used a punch to make the holes. Make sure the holes are snug, where you have to stretch the mask skirt around the threaded tube.

3a)These attachment pieces can break as well.

Attached is a larger version of my avatar showing the Por-Ear mask in use.

Attachments

151.7 KB · Views: 1,866
Hi there,

I have had lot of ear problems because of chronic otitis externa. Here' previous topic about persistent ear problems. My doctors have said that I have to [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]keep my ear canal as dry as possible[/FONT] in the future because ear canal infection is already in chronic stage. Do you think that Pro-Ear mask would be my salvage and I could continue scuba-diving? I really miss water and Pro-Ear mask sounds like a dream come true.

Just a general question. Have you used Docs Proplugs with Pro-Ear mask? Are they working fine together? I would like to double check that water really stays away from my ear canal.

Is there a reseller for Pro-Ear mask here in Europe too?

I've had eleven surgeries dating back to a waterskiing accident 25 years ago. The point is I am super sensitive and aware of the need to keep my inner ear dry. I've had the pro ear mask for many of those years and been able to dive with no problems. The other technique I follow up my diving with is the dry ear machine
http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/MCKED.html?gclid=CI6I1OzAx64CFUSMtgodnkB5Fw
In the event you get water in your inner ear canal it can be rapidly dried. The water in and of itself in the canal isn't what hurts you, it is the water REMAINING in the inner ear cavity and creating an environment ripe for infection. I usually finish the protocol with a few drops of homemade brew....50-50 rubbing alcohol (to remove any last remnants of water) and vinegar (keeping the pH of the inner ear acidic is key to minimize infection) hope it helps. I've had a healthy inner ear now for six years!!!! Dave

I've had eleven surgeries dating back to a waterskiing accident 25 years ago. The point is I am super sensitive and aware of the need to keep my inner ear dry. I've had the pro ear mask for many of those years and been able to dive with no problems. The other technique I follow up my diving with is the dry ear machine
http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/MCKED.html?gclid=CI6I1OzAx64CFUSMtgodnkB5Fw
In the event you get water in your inner ear canal it can be rapidly dried. The water in and of itself in the canal isn't what hurts you, it is the water REMAINING in the inner ear cavity and creating an environment ripe for infection. I usually finish the protocol with a few drops of homemade brew....50-50 rubbing alcohol (to remove any last remnants of water) and vinegar (keeping the pH of the inner ear acidic is key to minimize infection) hope it helps. I've had a healthy inner ear now for six years!!!! Dave

Sound good. I have to get Ear dryer too. I'm trying to find a place that sells Ear dryer and can deliver it to Europe. Do you any idea where can I buy one? I think many European divers would love to buy this product.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom