Prison sentences in chili case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On top of the nine year prison sentence:

(Judge) Davila also ordered the couple to pay $21.2 million in restitution to Wendy's International, nearly $500,000 to JEM Management, which owns the Monterey Road Wendy's where the incident occurred and seven other San Jose Wendy's, and $170,605 to Wendy's employees for lost wages.

I assume there was some non-dramatic reason for this ruling...

neil:
You think nine years locked in a cage is fitting punishment for trying to steal money?
I'd bet dollars to donuts this incident is only the tip of the iceberg with these two.
Also, try putting yourself in the place of the victims - not the corporate giant, but the individual franchise owner(s) who is likely tail-over-teakettle in debt to get the business going, and this kind of fraud can put them out of their home and literally take the childrens' food off the table, to say nothing of putting 'em out of business and throwing way more than 9 years of hard labor down the toilet.
Those of us who have owned our own businesses know well the cruel reality of the fraudulent lawsuit/extortion game, and I, for one, am unsympathetic with the punishment of the perps.
FWIW, I also think those who steal millions from retirement accounts & such should never see the light of day again. The real cost in human suffering of such acts is incalculable.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
I'd bet dollars to donuts this incident is only the tip of the iceberg with these two.
Also, try putting yourself in the place of the victims - not the corporate giant, but the individual franchise owner(s) who is likely tail-over-teakettle in debt to get the business going, and this kind of fraud can put them out of their home and literally take the childrens' food off the table, to say nothing of putting 'em out of business and throwing way more than 9 years of hard labor down the toilet.
Those of us who have owned our own businesses know well the cruel reality of the fraudulent lawsuit/extortion game, and I, for one, am unsympathetic with the punishment of the perps.
FWIW, I also think those who steal millions from retirement accounts & such should never see the light of day again. The real cost in human suffering of such acts is incalculable.
Rick
I seem to recall the also tried to sell real estate they didn't own, so this wasn't their first attempt at fraud.

My local Wendy's recently closed down, likely due in part to lost business as a result of this case.

Perhaps in prison they'll get kitchen duty :D

DA Aquamaster:
I tend to agree, nine years is a bit harsh for a property crime where no violence or weapon was used...In any case, violent offenders, muggers, rapists, murderers, child abusers, etc, should get heavier sentences than persons committing property crimes...

I agree, violent crimes should get the most severe sentences.

TheDivingPreacher:
Isn't it amazing what the love of money will cause people to do?

Perhaps they should be forced to work the rest of their lives in a Wendy's drive through. :)

Not that there is anything wrong with working at a fast food restaurant, did it myself a few...........no, make that many many many years ago.

Or give em 10 years cleaning the grease trap. Now that's fitting punishment! :wink:

Instead now we're all going to support THEM in prison.

These two do have a long history of fraud. I agree with the sentence but there has to be a more creative way of having them serve it. How can they make restitution, especially that huge amount, from a jail cell? Good point TDP.

Fish_Whisperer:
On the other hand, Ken Lay only got 7 years. The more I think about it, the more unjust it seems.
Think about it some more... I'll bet if you add up all the forfeit debt - and that debt is largely backed by investment, much of it from retirement accounts - that resulted from the failures and bankruptcies that flowed from this one crime, these guys have effectively stolen more from our pockets than Ken did.
Rick

MaxBottomtime:
Wendy's has waived the monetary judgement as long as the couple does not profit in any way from this case.
Yes, that is why the 2 finger-felons made that gushingly supportive speach of Wendy's at their sentencing.

However the 2 boobies are still required to pay restitution to the employees of Wendy's, around $170,000.

I think these two morons deserved everything they got. Heck, I haven't eaten chili since that case made the news!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom