Priority of skills to master for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your point 2 makes me think of a couple of questions:

1. I was told never take the reg out of my mouth, as a rule to live by.. so why is it important to swap between them? I get that in the event you need your octo you need to feel comfortable getting to it and switching but beyond that I'm just curious as to why.

2. What would the rationale be for orally inflating your BC underwater? Is there any benefit for bouyancy?

I swap between regulators all the time during a dive to ensure I’m maintaining two functional circuits with equal performance (minus surf knob adjustments). Your instructor’s guidance was probably limited to just the duration of that course. If he taught you this is an enduring principle, then I think he’s an instructor with a very limited range of skills and experience. In more advanced training, you will have to take the regulator out of your mouth and demonstrate that you can swim for a distance to pass the course. In even more advance training, you have to take off your mask, take out your reg and follow a line for some distance. So, instructing you to “never take your reg out” is teaching you to be fearful and doesn’t do your skill progression any favors.

I orally inflate all the time, even at depths past 40m. Every liter counts plus I think it’s good practice. Maybe it’s just ritual but I have a pretty good consumption rate so I’m not going backwards to start dumping back gas into my bladder (especially mixed gas) unless it’s an emergency.

My instructor showed me a great technique last month of tilting his head to the side and using his regulator exhaust to inflate a DSMB with a duckbill valve rather than removing the reg and purging the regulator to inflate his DSMB. Makes good sense to me...why dump liters of unused air when you can use air you’ve already breathed?

My instructor showed me a great technique last month of tilting his head to the side and using his regulator exhaust to inflate a DSMB with a duckbill valve rather than removing the reg and purging the regulator to inflate his DSMB. Makes good sense to me...why dump liters of unused air when you can use air you’ve already breathed?
So you've been orally inflating your BCD, but using your tank to inflate your DSMB? I do it the other way around.

So you've been orally inflating your BCD, but using your tank to inflate your DSMB? I do it the other way around.

I re-read my post to make sure I was reasonably clear in my word choice and so forth but I couldn’t figure out how you’re drawing that conclusion from what I wrote.

I orally inflate my BCD and I orally inflate my DSMB.

I simply remarked that my instructor showed me a technique last month of tilting his head to the side and letting his regulator exhaust fill his DSMB through the duckbill valve. That’s exhausted gas coming from his lungs, not tank gas.

I tried this technique and I couldn’t get my exhausted gas right into the DSMB’s baffle like I wanted...too much was exhaust was spilling up the sides of the DSMB for my tastes. So, I just went back to oral inflation on the valve stem.

Gooder?

For @DiveToFeelAlive

Buoyancy
Trim
Breathing
Propulsion
Awareness (self, others, climate and boat)

I re-read my post to make sure I was reasonably clear in my word choice and so forth but I couldn’t figure out how you’re drawing that conclusion from what I wrote.

I orally inflate my BCD and I orally inflate my DSMB.

I simply remarked that my instructor showed me a technique last month of tilting his head to the side and letting his regulator exhaust fill his DSMB through the duckbill valve. That’s exhausted gas coming from his lungs, not tank gas.

I tried this technique and I couldn’t get my exhausted gas right into the DSMB’s baffle like I wanted...too much was exhaust was spilling up the sides of the DSMB for my tastes. So, I just went back to oral inflation on the valve stem.

Gooder?
Sure. FWIW, it's the "My instructor showed me" part that made me think you were purging your reg to fill the DSMB.

When I followed my first scuba diving course, in 1975, the standard SCUBA system employed during the course was the ARO (pure-oxygen CC rebreather). At the end of the course we shortly used an OC air system (with a Mistral double-hose reg or an Aquilon dual stage-reg and a twin tank with reserve, no SPG).
The course was 6 months long, and very hard. Only 20% of initial students were certified at the end.
Most of the attention was on breathing control, as with the ARO an improper breathing technique can cause death easily due to CO2 buildup. With the OC system, instead, buoyancy control was also obtained by breathing control, as there was no BCD.
So in my own experience learning to dive was 80% learning how to control breathing, but also how to control motion (using hands very often in the so-called "opposition" action, and using fins, of course).
Controlling breathing also means controlling your brains (as you learn if practising yoga, for example).
It must also be said that the first three months it was entirely free diving, no scuba system. Initially without mask and fins (free body), and lately using mask and fins but holding your breath and practising various types of hyperventilation for getting longer apnoea times.
Such a training approach is now not employed anymore. People are allowed to scuba diving even if they cannot swim properly in free body, or cannot free dive to minimal depths, such as 15m, with mask and fins.
I think that the training I received at the time was excellent, and prepared me to be confident in the water in any condition, without or with equipment, and with any kind of breathing apparatus.
So when it was time to train my sons, I and my wife followed a similar path. No ARO, but a lot of time free diving before using Scuba systems, and a lot of attention on breathing control and body motion control. We gave a BCD to our sons only after 6-7 years of scuba diving without it...
But I understand that nowadays time and money constraints make this ultra-slow approach unfeasible in most cases. People wants to be certified OW in a weekend. There is just time to teach some basic life-saving skills, while learning breathing control and body control takes several months. So the BCD is used as a substitute to these skills, and in a few days you can teach a novel student how to use his BCD to achieve decent buoyancy control. All the other "will come with time".
I remain convinced of the supremacy of the old approach, but I admit that many good divers were trained with the new method, in a perfectly safe way.
So, if you do not have available several months for training and an old-school instructor as me, forget about what I wrote above and follow the "modern" didactical approach, where using the BCD properly is considered more important than controlling your breath, body and brains.

So in my own experience learning to dive was 80% learning how to control breathing, but also how to control motion (using hands very often in the so-called "opposition" action, and using fins, of course).

If you watch Cousteau's earliest films, you'll immediately notice how much the divers use their hands and how active their feet are. The modern BC allows competent divers to use a relaxed technique that allies extended dive times with precise control. But it also allows divers with limited skills to bumble through even if they are marginal swimmers.

The bumbling can be done safely enough as long as conditions are benign. As requiring extensive training would put off most potential divers, aka customers, standard dive training has evolved to relying on the equipment to quickly get people to the safely bumble stage. True competency is left for additional training or divers to figure it on their own.

Interesting.. never thought about all these "**** can happen" scenarios where you need to react... makes sense.

I think some pool time will be well worth it to go practice all of this.
Its not uncommon, that a reg is kicked out if a mouth. Thats why it is good to stay calm. Blow bubbles and stick the reg back in.its not an emergency until u make it to one.

I think retrieving the nask and reg is very important, since its only a matter of time, that you will loose one.
I like to remove my mask in shallow water at the end of the dive. But remember you wont be able to read your dc. So do it shallow with visual reverence.

After completing my open water this past weekend and trying to educate myself more on diving in general, safety, how to mitigate risk, and learning about all the gear... I've been thinking about what skills are the most important to master. . . .

The things I think I need to focus on, and know I need to get better at:
- initiating my descent from the surface while on breath hold with empty lungs. . . .
- equalizing often, . . .
- breathing control, slow and steady to maximize time under water
- buoyancy control

Happy to read any tips / comments :)
I would not disagree with the 4 items you have listed, with the possible exception of the third item - but only with regard to the purpose. I tell OW students that they need to learn (only) three things in order to become scuba divers: 1) How to breathe underwater, 2) how to swim underwater, and 3) how to plan, execute, and document (i.e. 'log') an underwater excursion (aka a DIVE). Yes, that simplifies training a bit, but each of those three aspects relates to one or more of the specific skills learned in OW training.

During OW training, I particularly emphasize (1) buoyancy AND TRIM management (part of how to swim underwater), 2) 'no mask' breathing (how to breathe underwater), and 3) BCD oral inflation (again, how to swim underwater, but also related to how to breathe underwater). Yes, my students complete ALL performance requirements, so I am not taking away anything from the course requirements. But, if there is an opportunity (say, on Dive 5 in CW, or Dive 4 in OW) to require the students to swim without their mask, to swim without a fin, to have to disconnect their BCD LPI hose and maintain buoyancy with oral inflation, I take full advantage of that.

My reasoning is this: an OW diver certification is, at best, a license to learn how to dive. In "today's" OW course environment, we simply cannot do everything necessary to produce a good diver, at least what I would consider to be a 'good' diver. FWIW, I had a good OW course years ago, but I was far from a 'good' diver at the time of my certification. What I was then - and what I want my students to be now - was / is a reasonably SAFE diver, while subsequently learning to dive. So, I am concerned with ensuring that the factors that may bring them to grief are addressed.

How does this answer your question? Well, the particular skills that I would suggest you focus on would be:

1) no mask diving - get used to it, get comfortable with it, practice it every chance you get. That way, when the unexpected happens - another diver's fin knocks your mask off - you won't be thrust immediately into a panic situation, where you snort water up your nose, where you bolt to the surface, etc. Now, it also very directly relates to what others may consider to be methods to control your breathing. For me, controlling breathing has nothing to do with how much gas you use, as a new diver. DON'T WORRY ABOUT HOW MUCH GAS YOU USE! Your gas consumption will generally come down over time, with more experience. The control that it has to do with involves changing from a nose breathing, land-based mammal to a mouth breathing underwater mammal. The control you need to have involves being able to breathe in and out ONLY through your mouth, and to change that process when needed. As land-based mammals, we are taught from an early age to breathe through our nose. To this day, I remember my mother saying to me, when I was walking around breathing through my mouth - 'CLOSE YOUR MOUTH. YOU LOOK STUPID!' One might suggest she could have used different language and tone, but her point was 'spot on'. There are valid physiologic reasons for nose breathing, AND people do look stupid walking around with their mouth hanging open. (Feel free to take offense if you wish, the point is valid.) But, the point is, learn to 'control' your breathing in terms of the orifices involved. After that you will find that gas consumption takes care of itself over time. But, in addition, you will find equalizing to be easier, you will find clearing a foggy mask to be easier, you will find that diving will be easier.

2) BCD oral inflation - sounds like an easy issue, right? But, to do it competently involves management of breathing - you inhale, you take your regulator out of your mouth, you add air to your BCD - AND YOU ARE COMFORTABLE DOING IT. It reinforces multi-tasking.

3) hovering, using oral inflation - most new divers are poor 'hoverers'. Sure, when they are not distracted by anything else, and can concentrate ONLY on their hovering, they maintain good buoyancy control - so, they 'master' the specific 'hover' skill during training. But, let something happen that requires they divide their attention - e.g. doing the underwater compass navigation swim in their OW dives - they lose sense of their depth (their buoyancy control goes to HIAHB), their trim moves from commendably horizontal to annoying 'head up', etc. If you want to learn good buoyancy, you need to hover while multi-tasking - and using (only) oral inflation is one way to pursue that.

Looking at your items:

Yes, initiating your descent with empty lungs has some merit - frankly, if you are properly weighted, you shouldn't need to do that - with a full cylinder you are probably ~4 lbs negative at the start of a dive - since proper weight is what you need at the END of a dive, with 800 PSI in your cylinder, to hold your safety stop.

Yes, you should equalize 'early and often'. Start as soon as you drop below the water, rather than waiting until your ears begin to bother you.

Yes, your breathing should be slow, steady, and deep. This not a matter of maximizing underwater time (though it may help), it is a matter of optimal ventilation - on-gassing and off-gassing.

And, yes, you should continually - eternally - work on your buoyancy control. But, that control must become second nature / subliminal, which means that you can do it while distracted with other tasks.

(BTW, the fact that you posted as you did to start the thread is a high compliment to you. You want to get better, and are therefore likely to do what it takes to accomplish that.)

Would these be the same people that drive in town at night with the lights off to save the battery; or maybe the ones that switch the engine off whilst coasting down hill?

Pretty much.

I am neutral with zero air in my BC and 50 bar in the tank. That means at the start of the dive I need 2 kg positive or 2 litre air in my BCD. If I go deep to 40 m then inflate to get neutral, I put 10 litre of surface pressure air in my BC, less than 1 bar on a 11 litre tank. That is the worst possible case, shallower max depths means less air to get neutral. On a 20 m dive it would be around a half bar.

Since I typically surface with 70 to 100 bar that one bar or less used to inflate just doesn't register.

Often someone with a little bit of theory knowledge will do some really stupid things without understanding the pittance that they may save but the increased risks of what they are doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom