Priority of skills to master for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the main thing to focus on initially is doing nothing. If you can get to the point where you can hover motionless without making a conscious effort to do so, then everything else gets easier and your air consumption automatically improves.

Yes, buoyancy and a whole host of other things are quite important; but I would also include the seemingly obvious advice of carrying into the water, only what you are fully capable of carrying out.

I see far too many students, crawling out of the surf like penitents, for no good reason, on even the calmest of days; or else, those apparently incapable of getting back on their feet, once prone -- overweighted and carrying far too much extraneous crap -- some nowadays who model themselves as "tech" divers, bristling with hoses and extra tanks, who all-too often overlook that equally-important technical skill, of being capable of standing upright . . .

Yes, buoyancy and a whole host of other things are quite important; but I would also include the seemingly obvious advice of carrying into the water, only what you are fully capable of carrying out.

I see far too many students, crawling out of the surf like penitents, for no good reason, on even the calmest of days; or else, those apparently incapable of getting back on their feet, once prone -- overweighted and carrying far too much extraneous crap -- some nowadays who model themselves as "tech" divers, bristling with hoses and extra tanks, who all-too often overlook that equally-important technical skill, of being capable of standing upright, on their own . . .
You mean the dive's not over when your head breaks the surface?

(that was sarcasm, btw)

I'm not sure its the extra stuff, but the legs and perhaps the cardio. Unless you have in mind diving an AL19 in a dive skin, aka 3mm full suit, instead of full rubber and lead. But NorCal is not normal diving.

Yes, my goal in diving is to be able to walk back to my car in a dignified manner (across the soft sand beach and berm). Which you could read as a fitness or a safety goal, both views are accurate.

I'm not sure its the extra stuff, but the legs and perhaps the cardio. Unless you have in mind diving an AL19 in a dive skin, aka 3mm full suit, instead of full rubber and lead. But NorCal is not normal diving.

Yes, my goal in diving is to be able to walk back to my car in a dignified manner (across the soft sand beach and berm). Which you could read as a fitness or a safety goal, both views are accurate.
Yeah, that is also my goal at 67. With 42 pounds of weight and my 7 mil farmer john wetsuit, it gets pretty darn heavy when it's wet. I can get up if prone due to surf, but I don't LIKE to at all. I don't really carry anything extra other than my knife.

Yeah, that is also my goal at 67. With 42 pounds of weight and my 7 mil farmer john wetsuit, it gets pretty darn heavy when it's wet. I can get up if prone due to surf, but I don't LIKE to at all. I don't really carry anything extra other than my knife.

+1 I noted in the comments of my log on the 1st dive this year that I was pleased I was able to walk out of the water and uphill to the car with at least in my mind anyway like I wasn't about to need assistance.
I've tried to lighten the load but regardless of which configuration I concoct from single to small double tanks the total weight is always within a few pounds+/-. The most comfortable rig is of course also the heaviest and safest/most redundant rig is almost as heavy. So it's a good thing I was born with strong legs and kept them that way at least until the replacement knees, now I'm not even suppose to run, heavy leg work is out too. So I find the best thing I can do for myself post dive is to stand in shallow water for 10-20min to get my "land legs" back. It can be enjoyable there are always sights to see at the ocean. Around here I don't contend with surf. If the water is rough it's not worth getting wet. So there's no standing in breaking waves.

I think the main thing to focus on initially is doing nothing. If you can get to the point where you can hover motionless without making a conscious effort to do so, then everything else gets easier and your air consumption automatically improves.

I ask my students what does a good diver look like? We then discuss control, comfort in the water column, and efficient movements. Learn to be still to see if their weight distribution needs to change, etc.. If they are able to hover motionless, fin efficiently, then their relaxation improves and gas consumption drops.

Back
Top Bottom