Question Prior Injuries and Diving (Wounds, Stroke, DCS)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Richard Pyle wrote an extended description of his first DCS case, when he was 19, IIRC. It was very serious. Most people would never dive again.

Pyle has also written an extended description of his second DCS case, when he was much older. It was very serious. Most people would never dive again.

Dr. Richard Pyle is today diving regularly to great depths.

I am sure that he has done so with a clear mind. He must have good reason to believe that he is reasonably safe to do that. Some people might have complications following DCS that would not make it reasonably safe. Each case is different.

Who is ruling out the diving, Trace?

The standard medical forms apply mostly (with exceptions) to students, not regular everyday divers. What is stopping someone from going to a dive boat post DCS, showing a certification card, and going diving? I am about to go on an extended dive trip, and there is no way the dive operators would know I had DCS two years ago.

If a standard medical form is required for some reason, that form lists POSSIBLE reasons why you might not be able to dive, but it is ultimately the decision of a doctor. If you write YES on any of the POSSIBLE contradictions on the form, you can have a doctor signing off that you are fit to dive anyway.

If it is an insurance company that won't insure the diver under those circumstances, I assume there are other insurance companies.

If it is the diver's personal physician saying no, then I would ask that physician for the reasons. They might well be good ones.
Many charter boats (esp. liveaboards) require a medical questionnaire, they are usually based on the UHMS form/questions.

Who is ruling out the diving, Trace?

The standard medical forms apply mostly (with exceptions) to students, not regular everyday divers. What is stopping someone from going to a dive boat post DCS, showing a certification card, and going diving? I am about to go on an extended dive trip, and there is no way the dive operators would know I had DCS two years ago.

If a standard medical form is required for some reason, that form lists POSSIBLE reasons why you might not be able to dive, but it is ultimately the decision of a doctor. If you write YES on any of the POSSIBLE contradictions on the form, you can have a doctor signing off that you are fit to dive anyway.

If it is an insurance company that won't insure the diver under those circumstances, I assume there are other insurance companies.

If it is the diver's personal physician saying no, then I would ask that physician for the reasons. They might well be good ones.
The doctors, John. I have an upcoming appointment with a hyperbaric doc, but I think I will just be told not to dive as Richard said. They have me paranoid now. I returned to freediving, but I want to put scuba gear on and dive shallow and I'm scared. Never been scared to dive before. I only have one eye left and it took 2.5 years to get balance and visual processing with motion back. Around July of 2021, I started to feel more normal. Started swimming laps. Started freediving in September. Now, I want to putz around in shallow water with nitrox, but I'm getting the, "I wouldn't dive again, if it were me," speeches.

Many charter boats (esp. liveaboards) require a medical questionnaire, they are usually based on the UHMS form/questions.
I have done liveaboards in the Red Sea, Cocos, Galapagos, Cayman, Revillagigedos, and Malpelo, not a single medical form. I have not filled out a medical form since my 2013 SDI Solo certification and have only filled out medical forms in conjunction with training. No day boat has ever requested any medical information.

I wouldn't be surprised if a medical form was required to be an instructor, but I know nothing regarding professional credentialing. I can't think of anything that would prevent simple recreational diving as long as one has the requisite certification, OW or AOW and nitrox. The relative risk is the hard thing to factor in. With Shearwater computers, SurtGF is an excellent tool. I have not surfaced with a GF greater than 80 since I purchased my Teric, 2 1/2 years ago. My average surfacing GF has only been 55 over the last 330 dives, this is pretty conservative.

I have done liveaboards in the Red Sea, Cocos, Galapagos, Cayman, Revillagigedos, and Malpelo, not a single medical form. I have not filled out a medical form since my 2013 SDI Solo certification and have only filled out medical forms in conjunction with training. No day boat has ever requested any medical information.

I wouldn't be surprised if a medical form was required to be an instructor, but I know nothing regarding professional credentialing. I can't think of anything that would prevent simple recreational diving as long as one has the requisite certification, OW or AOW and nitrox. The relative risk is the hard thing to factor in. With Shearwater computers, SurtGF is an excellent tool. I have not surfaced with a GF greater than 80 since I purchased my Teric, 2 1/2 years ago. My average surfacing GF has only been 55 over the last 330 dives, this is pretty conservative.
I was using the Shearwater when I got bent with an 80 GF.

I've had to complete a medical form 3 times in the last 5 years in the Great Lakes, different trip organizers, different boats.

Alas people still get bent (sometimes severely) at GF80 or even much less. When you are functionally "whole" deciding to dive is fairly straightforward. When you have residual injuries, weighing the risk is uncharted territory, if you do choose to dive again, then staying far far away from NDLs and having a backup plan if you do start to feel dubious is wise (e.g. bringing an O2 bottle with you on a 60min 40ft dive in 32% is potentially prudent, along with a conservative ascent and a long safety stop)

Why is it that you can be cleared to dive if you have received permanent injuries to the neurological system such as to the brain, brainstem or cranial nerves from explosions, concussions, foreign bodies (i.e., shrapnel), and strokes, but a person is medically disqualified from diving if the damage resulted from decompression sickness?

That would be a great question to a Hyperbaric doctor......or random people on the internet.

...They have me paranoid now. ....I want to putz around in shallow water with nitrox, but I'm getting the, "I wouldn't dive again, if it were me," speeches.

You ask a doctor for their opinion and then you have a choice of following that advice or not. I had a world renowned orthopedic surgeon tell me in 1996 that I shouldn't run anymore. I chose not to listen to him (I had to stop 5 years later, pain vs pleasure), and I am paying the price now . But it was my choice.

Pay the doctor, thank him/her and do as you please. But if you are looking for some total stranger, with no medical license, to opine on your condition, and tell you what you want to hear....you've come to the right place!

That would be a great question to a Hyperbaric doctor......or random people on the internet.

You ask a doctor for their opinion and then you have a choice of following that advice or not. I had a world renowned orthopedic surgeon tell me in 1996 that I shouldn't run anymore. I chose not to listen to him (I had to stop 5 years later, pain vs pleasure), and I am paying the price now . But it was my choice.

Pay the doctor, thank him/her and do as you please. But if you are looking for some total stranger, with no medical license, to opine on your condition, and tell you what you want to hear....you've come to the right place!
I thought diving docs answered questions in the med forum here. The doctors I have, even the hyperbaric ones, never even used a regulator in a pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom