printer suggestions????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
Any suggestions on a good....$500 range max.....printer to print my digital pictures??? And, where can I get it?

thanks

rich

just a couple of questions to narrow the hundreds of printers down.

1. what is the largest size print that you want to do?

2. do you have a brand preference (canon, epson, hp, etc)

from there i can narrow it down and help you out

Dan

I've been very happy with my Epson Photo Stylus 820. Printers in the Photo Stylus family seem popular for photo printing and some can be used to produce large format prints. I'd recommend looking at the six color style printers as they are considered to reproduce color better.

This subject has been discussed a lot on photo.net, I'd do a search there, you should come up with some good info.

Steve.

I've been happy with my sony sv55, for the price anyway ~$150.
it's a dye sublimation printer which means it creates the photo with translucent layers of magenta cyan and yellow, and greys.
it will only make 3x5 or 4x6 prints.
the paper pack comes with a cartridge that will layer exactly the number of sheets it came with.
it's hard to tell the difference from a lab print.
the paper cost you ~ 60 cents per print.

My old HP712 Deskjet does an OK job but I've been thinking about an Epson 1280. 6 inks, large prints

Just upgraded to a Canon Pixus 950i (about $300) a few months ago and love it great quality and allows numerous print sizes (even more if you can use the Japanese printing programs) and has options for printing onto my CD's and DVD's directly so I don't need labels.

I just bought a HP 7150 and the quality is fantastic. And I find it very quiet as well.

The thing I would consider is that if you want to print on card or slightly stiffer paper you may want to look for a printer that doesn't bend the paper around as it's printing. However I haven't tried this on the HP 7150.

Personally I would recommend the Epsom Photo Stylus range. As a rule they use more colours than most other models (6 rather than 4), and so can produce sharper images. Mine has produced some great results upto Letter/A4 size.

The other thing is the quality of the paper. You can spend a small fortune buying photo quality paper for inkjet print printers. This paper does produce the best result, but my experience is to go a grade or two down from the best, and you will find only marginally worse results for a lot less money.

Hope this helps,
Simon

thanks all.....
scubatooth....i think 8x10 would be the biggest....and i would probably do most in smaller than 5 x 7 format....
and...i have no pref on brand.

i have seen a couple of hp printers results and they were pretty good.

the 6 ink item and the no bending the paper item is interesting... does hp bend paper??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom