Princeton Tec Quality......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, what do you need for the warranty anyway? It's not like I have the receipt for this light anymore. Is it a 1 year, or lifetime, or what?

the first couple lights I sent in, I printed out the product spec off their webpage and highlighted the "LIFETIME WARRANTY" and put a note in the box... had no problems with replacement.

subsequent failed lights, I just put a note in the box that I was returning it for warranty repair/replacment under the LIFETIME WARRANTY policy. still had no problems.....

they even send the light back with fresh batteries.....

though i'm not super happy with all the failed PrincetonTec lights I've had, I will say I've had no problems getting any of them fixed/replaced. I was just out the cost of postage each time. I guess a set of new batteries sorta offsets that a little though.... (sorta).

I called them and they gave me a RMA#. Is a lifetime warranty in the US, and 10 years for international customers.

Looking to get a Miniwave from LP-based on the previous posts Princeton Tec doesn't require a receipt for warranty purposes? Just wondering if I should buy it from Scuba Toys instead since they are an authorized dealer. LP is throwing a Tec 40 light in to sweeten the deal.

Looking to get a Miniwave from LP-based on the previous posts Princeton Tec doesn't require a receipt for warranty purposes? Just wondering if I should buy it from Scuba Toys instead since they are an authorized dealer. LP is throwing a Tec 40 light in to sweeten the deal.

We are always happy to match any deal... Just give a shout. As an authorized dealer, many manufacturers have rules by which we must stick to our pricing on for the page - but a phone call is a different animal.

I've had to return several Princeton tec lights. Never returned one with a receipt and got it fixed under their lifetime warranty every time. No questions asked.

they even threw in new batteries each time.

so no worries about where you buy it from

But if Larry can match their price and give you the 10% off Scubaboard discount and you get free shipping for orders over $50 bucks, then it only makes sense to buy there as you'll save more money over LP.

15 bux ... that's the cost of a couple of beers ...

As the old adage goes: you get what you pay for. Man, if I bought something and it didn't work, I'd be finished with that company - no second chances, unless of course they manufacture something unique. I have no experience with PT lights while diving, but when you compare their headlamps [for above water] they just aren't engineered in the same way that say a Petzl headlamp is engineered. At what point do you give-up on a product. My cousin has had to return a generic-brand 'Thermarest' sleeping pad 7 times [for camping] ... to a large local retailer ... at what point do you say 'Damn, I'm just going to buy the real deal' and buy a real Thermarest [I've had mine for 15 years and use it at least 60 days a year]. I admire people for being persistent, but wouldn't you just prefer to buy a $75 light [which is still ridiculously cheap by dive light standards] and get at least several years of reliable service? I guess I'm just resisting this disposable society we live in ... I'd rather have one nice thing than 5 pieces of *****.

i just got a replacement princeton tec light through my dive shop today. This one flooded on a recent trip to Socal after many years of reliable service. I took it to the shop, they sent it in, and i got another light back (with batteries) no questions asked and with no shipping or handling charge. This light is the descendant of one of two princeton tec lights I bought as a day light, night backup light, back in 1985. I have probably had each one replaced a couple of times, as at least one of them accompanies me on every dive and with more than a 1000 dives, thats a lot of use. I would buy another princeton tec light (and have purchased their diver strobe locator beacon among others) but with their lifetime warranty, I probably will never have to. They are the Craftsman tool of the submersible light world. Decent quality, reasonable price, generally reliable, and a great warranty.

I have a couple of these lights and my newest will turn itself on when it gets wet and then off again when I ascend to about 5 ft. I have an RMA just haven't sent it back yet. I have several others and no problems from them, so I am not quite ready to pull the plug on the company. YMMV.
Safe Dives
Charlie

how do you like the Princeton Tec strobe light?

Do you think it's bright enough to find the anchor line from say 200 feet away ?

I couldn't say as I have not used them for that purpose. I have seen them flashing underwater from 50 feet away in turbid water. I use it more as a surface locator aid when I am in remote areas or on a drift dive. I got it just before going to the Cocos Islands six years ago. We had a diver go missing for a little while when she failed to heed the divemaster's direction that if you found yourself in blue water without reference to the pinnacle to surface immediately. She thought it was better to do 15 foot stop for three minutes after getting separated from her buddy and headed for Antarctica. Rain squalls came up and limited visibility. The boats eventually found her about 20 minutes later, but it was dicey for a while. I think a strobe would have made finding her easier.

Back
Top Bottom