Prime Dive Seasons - East Coast / West Coast what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajmataz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

I am planning my first trip to Thailand and I am getting a little confused with the prime season for diving on the different coasts.

I am planning to go in June - I've read that is the best time to be in the Gulf, like Koh Samui, is this true?

Or how about Phi Phi islands? Doesn't necessarily have to have diving there, because I hear it's just an absolutely beautiful place to visit. But I would never pass up an opportunity to get wet 80ft deep. :)

Thanks for you help, I'm super excited!!

On both sides you will be able to dive all year round, however, rule of thumb, the season for the Gulf is roughly from March/April to September and the Andaman side will have best conditions roughly from September/October to March/April.

I'm living and diving from Koh Samui for the last 11 years and Sail Rock and various sites around Koh Tao are your best options.

A Samui info and weather blog can be found here Camille's Samui Info blog and my dive blog with lots of dive info about Samui is one of the links in my signature below.

Phi Phi Island in June is nice and relaxed -not too busy and accomodation is cheaper. You may get a bit of rain but it normally doesnt last very long.

Its worth spending a few days diving off Phi Phi or Phuket but the Similan Islands are closed.

generally speaking in my experience a bad days diving in the Andaman sea is better than a good day in the gulf.
Having said that I do like to dive in Koh Chang, this time of year it is good there. (oct - may)

I agree with Lord Khram, but am admittedly biased. The one thing I would advise is ignore the weather forecast from Google, Yahoo, BBC etc, they are nearly always wrong. June is definitely getting into the wet season in the Andaman, but that doesn't mean that it will rain everyday or that their is no diving. All the dive centers still go out unless there is very heavy wind and waves. Best option for a reliable diving conditions forecast is to contact one of the dive centers in the area a few days before you travel.

Benefits of diving in low season on either side of Thailand is that there will be far less divers on the sites, prices are often cheaper and it's more of an adventure if the conditions are less than perfect. The fish don't leave, so provided you don't mind getting wet, ignore the seasons and go for the best dive sites. In my opinion are in Krabi, but as iI said, I'm biased.

June 2009 in Phuket was very dry - driest for at least 10 years - see:

Phuket Weather: Phuket 2009 Rainfall Data

June 2009 weather reports: Phuket Weather: June 2009

If weather is good, diving around the local Phuket sites I think, and many agree, is better than high season. But June is normally considerably wetter than it was in 2009.

BUT the weather is a fickle friend - you are more likely to get good weather in the east coast of Thailand.

June 2009 in Koh Samui -

Camille's Samui Info blog: June 2009

Many benefits for low season diving on the west coast. Mainly the lower hotel prices. Diving wise, you may have to wait a few days to dive whilst some dive centres collect enough divers together to pack onto one boat. This is usually not the case with some of the operators with smaller boats. They can afford to go out with fewer divers and can be more flexible. Just avoid the longtail operators, it can be quite unpleasant in one of those boats if the bad weather sets in.

My preference is the Andaman Coast, much better diving than the gulf...anytime.

November to March, my favorite place is Ko Lanta ( for a Dive and Beach vacation )
Other times, Phuket or Phi Phi

I live on Koh Tao and work here in diving. The weather and conditions here in June are lovely and its a quiet month too. It is cheaper here overall for everything. March April May is the time when we see most whalesharks but you can be lucky in June too. Depending on how long you are in Thailand though you could probably enjoy both coasts. Its easy to travel in between.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom