Primary reel spinning tension

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wKkaY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just bought a LM primary reel from an online shop. The reel is smooth, but there's a bit of tension in the spindle and it doesn't spin freely. It hasn't been in the water yet.

Should this be expected of a new reel, or did I get a dud?

Here's a video demonstrating it:

Last edited:
Does line come off when you want it to?

In operation you’ll probably be putting extra tension on it with your finger so the line doesn’t get all looseygoosey.

You might have it overpacked with line too. When the line gets wet and expand it can bend the spool ever so slightly and jam up.

Does line come off when you want it to?

In operation you’ll probably be putting extra tension on it with your finger so the line doesn’t get all looseygoosey.

You might have it overpacked with line too. When the line gets wet and expand it can bend the spool ever so slightly and jam up.
I haven't used it in the water yet, on land the line does come off when I want it to. I added a video to my first post. In class the reels I used spun really easily so I had to use my thumb as you said.

I'm not sure whether the friction on my reel is a feature.. Or defect :)

I haven't used it in the water yet, on land the line does come off when I want it to. I added a video to my first post. In class the reels I used spun really easily so I had to use my thumb as you said.

I'm not sure whether the friction on my reel is a feature.. Or defect :)
thumb screw - it might be catching somewhere or the spindle might be of alignment
i personally wouldn't be happy with that

That's more tension than I like from friction. I'd be concerned with it "fixing itself" underwater and falling into pieces. Don't know what's wrong, so I'm suspicious.

Simple 1/8 turn of the hub screw fix it?
Thanks, that did it! Unscrewed the hub a little and it started spinning freely agian. Screwed it back a little and it still spins freely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom