Primary/Octo question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kasey Kohler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey guys,
I currently have a SP MK25/G250 with air2. However I’m switching to BP/W setup so I’m going to ditch the Air2.

So I would like to buy a new G260 with a 40inch yellow hose route in under my right arm and to my mouth, and use that as my primary and hand it off in a OOA situation. While useing my old G250 on a short 22inch house as a backup with a neck bungee below my chin.

What do you think of this set up and, is that ok to use the G250 as a backup and the G260 as the primary/Octo or do I need to buy a specific reg for an octo I saw on SP website they have a page specifically for Octos?

A fine and very good combination. Many of us prefer to have the same reg as a primary and an octo so the parts are the same. While the 250 is no longer made, it is a perfectly fine regulator. They (marketers) sell octos usually as a "step down" and I don't know why. I'd want something as good or better in the event of needing it in a situation, not an under performing regulator. Kind of like a full sized spare tire vs. a space saver spare. Which do you want with 200 miles to go?

FWIW, I dive all the combinations of 109/156/G250 as primary and octo. Nice regs.

The "octo" should be as good if no better than the primary. Because in emergency it is the one that either the donor or receiver(diver in distress) will use.
I always wonder how many divers had actually test/use his/her "octo" in a unfavourable conditions?

So I would like to buy a new G260 with a 40inch yellow hose route in under my right arm and to my mouth, and use that as my primary and hand it off in a OOA situation.

Not sure why you want your long hose yellow? The premise for a yellow/orange octo is that when it is sitting tucked away, its easy for your buddy to spot and grab in an emergency. With a long hose, just make sure that your buddy knows in an emergency to grab the reg out of your mouth. He/she doesn't need to look for a flouro hose/reg to grab.

I always wonder how many divers had actually test/use his/her "octo" in a unfavourable conditions?

When I was playing teaching DM I would often suggest to students to breath off of their backup second (aka octo) on the way down to depth. If they did not like the way it breathed to then ask themselves if they would want to breathe from it when Davey Jones came a calling.

For the OP a 40 inch hose routed under your arm may not be comfortable without a 45 degree swivel.

A fine and very good combination. Many of us prefer to have the same reg as a primary and an octo so the parts are the same. While the 250 is no longer made, it is a perfectly fine regulator. They (marketers) sell octos usually as a "step down" and I don't know why. I'd want something as good or better in the event of needing it in a situation, not an under performing regulator. Kind of like a full sized spare tire vs. a space saver spare. Which do you want with 200 miles to go?

FWIW, I dive all the combinations of 109/156/G250 as primary and octo. Nice regs.

Ok
Not sure why you want your long hose yellow? The premise for a yellow/orange octo is that when it is sitting tucked away, its easy for your buddy to spot and grab in an emergency. With a long hose, just make sure that your buddy knows in an emergency to grab the reg out of your mouth. He/she doesn't need to look for a flouro hose/reg to grab.

Ok I thought that was standard thing to do but if it’s not important I would rather all my hoses be black anyway. I guess I just need a angled adapter on the 40” primary and I’ll be good.

When I was playing teaching DM I would often suggest to students to breath off of their backup second (aka octo) on the way down to depth. If they did not like the way it breathed to then ask themselves if they would want to breathe from it when Davey Jones came a calling.

For the OP a 40 inch hose routed under your arm may not be comfortable without a 45 degree swivel.

Should a fixed 70/110 degree angle adapter work good? Or Scubapro makes a 60/120. I think I would feel better about reliability with a fixed one.

That's a fine configuration, I'd add a 70/90/swivel on the primary because it's much more comfortable with the underarm hose routing and donation. I don't do the yellow hose thing, I have yet to see it actually matter, but if you want to go with that convention, drive on, nothing wrong with it. Dive Rite calls is the "Advanced Open Water" configuration if you want to place a name on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom