DIR- Generic Primary light with canister or handheld

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cord management is the name of the game with that, if you don't want to invest in one, then see if you can borrow one from the instructor or a friend for the course.
^. Assuming your local community is anything like ours in southern California, you'd be hard-pressed to not find someone willing to lend you a corded primary, or any other gear really, for class/practice (likely with the understanding that if you break/lose it you fix/replace it :) )

Conversation with a cave diver the other week about cordless primaries- "so what if you drop it, just pick it up". Different perspectives!

The Flare EXP is a really nice light IMO, but as others have mentioned it is NOT fun to drop it, and you WILL drop it eventually.

I'm buying a corded primary again to use for dives in open water as that's the worst possible place to drop a cordless one, will be keeping the EXP for mines/caves.

I guess everywhere that cave diver dives has the floor right under them at all times.

Have you found the sarcasm emoji?

A small revisit to this thread, since i'm also preparing for fundies with tec rating, what canister light would be recommended assuming i won't get into cave diving? There's a huge price difference between some and i am not sure what i will need.

Something no one mentioned is that the corded lights are a lot more comfortable to use. They're taking that weight off your hand and putting it on your hip, and they're not extremely long making it annoying when they're hitting dry glove rings, watches and compasses.

A small revisit to this thread, since i'm also preparing for fundies with tec rating, what canister light would be recommended assuming i won't get into cave diving? There's a huge price difference between some and i am not sure what i will need.

It is really hard to beat the focus when it comes to light signaling and communications.

I have a light monkey 10-20
Halcyon Focus 2.0
Hollis LED 15
Big Blue TLP3600s

Out of all of those lights, the Focus 2 is consistently the most noticeable underwater for signaling purposes. The Light Monkey has much more output than the Focus 2, but the wider beam makes it less useful for communications and team unity, however, it does light up the area better.

As for the backup lights. The Light Monkey 3w and 2w are significantly brighter than the Scouts and have longer claimed burn times.

Something no one mentioned is that the corded lights are a lot more comfortable to use. They're taking that weight off your hand and putting it on your hip, and they're not extremely long making it annoying when they're hitting dry glove rings, watches and compasses.

It is really hard to beat the focus when it comes to light signaling and communications.

Halcyon Focus 2.0
Hollis LED 15
Big Blue TLP3600s

Out of all of those lights, the Focus 2 is consistently the most noticeable underwater for signaling purposes. The Light Monkey has much more output than the Focus 2, but the wider beam makes it less useful for communications and team unity, however, it does light up the area better.

As for the backup lights. The Light Monkey 3w and 2w are significantly brighter than the Scouts and have longer claimed burn times.
Thanks for the advice! The quite expensive it seems, atleast in the netherlands. I'll have to dive little deeper into what i need in termen of lumens, beam angle etc.

Thanks for the advice! The quite expensive it seems, atleast in the netherlands. I'll have to dive little deeper into what i need in termen of lumens, beam angle etc.
I know thor engineering lights are big in Europe but I do not have any first hand experience with them.

Halcyon Focus 2.0
Hollis LED 15
Big Blue TLP3600s

I have a bunch of generations of Scouts and the Lm 2w. The newest gen of Scouts are way better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom