Primary donation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a good number of certification agencies don't seem to believe in the team approach:
cite please.

1. They are certifying divers that are not competent to dive unsupervised.
2. They are certifying divers not competent to act as a valued member of a buddy team i.e. removing the necessity to be able to buddy breath, as well as the non-inclusion of basic rescue skills.
3. They compensate by including a DM, which may have no one competent to rescue him if he gets into trouble (nor is anyone assigned to).
Just your opinion. or is it just your students?

Seems to me that a simple purge air test to the octo above water before the dive is always a good idea.

Seems to me you've never done a dive in cold water, or you'd know this can be a recipe for a free-flowing reg. It may be a good idea in most situations, but not always.

The bugaboo concerning breathing from a BC dates back to, I believe, a 1970s article in Scottish Diver that reported culturing potentially pathogenic organisms from insie an ABLJ. I don't recall that there were any actual lung infections reported, even back when ABLJ breathing was a standard part of the curriculum. Does anyone have that article (or another similar study) handy?

The bugaboo concerning breathing from a BC dates back to, I believe, a 1970s article in Scottish Diver that reported culturing potentially pathogenic organisms from insie an ABLJ. I don't recall that there were any actual lung infections reported, even back when ABLJ breathing was a standard part of the curriculum. Does anyone have that article (or another similar study) handy?

I don't recall that article, but it seems that there was something that I read in Skin Diver Magazine about this. Funny that you mention the curriculum; I recall that I had to go around the pool breathing off my new jacket BC and another lap breathing off a tank valve without the regulator (for my instructors rating in January 1972). LOL

I don't think I would attempt to do this at depth (although I suppose it would depend upon the situation) as I have had some blow-back of water from the BC and would run the risk of aspiration. If an individual was comfortable with the procedure, it would be a viable option, but to be comfortable you have to practice and because of the molds that tend to grow in the BC bladder, practicing may not be the healthiest thing to be doing.

I am a strong supporter of CESA and practice it on most dives. If I have one breath of air, I'm good to go to the surface or the decompression stop where there's gas waiting. It is however a last resort. I would much rather CESA than be holding my breath and fight over one functioning regulator. :)

I've practiced it a number of times and it was not difficult. You just press the inflate and deflate button at the same time. I've never had a problem with water and it feels like you are breathing straight from the tank rather than from the bladder.

I would think that if you practiced with an entirely empty BC, there would be very little chance for the bladder contaminating the air.

I think it is probably more viable than ditching the entire scuba unit and also abandoning your buddy.

You must not like safety stops if you practice a CESA on MOST dives?:confused::confused::confused:

I would think that if you practiced with an entirely empty BC, there would be very little chance for the bladder contaminating the air.

I've tried this exactly once, after washing out and soaking the bladder innards with a water/alcohol/listerine mix. I agree, if you hold down both buttons simultaneously, it's hard to imagine how any bladder air could come up the corrugated hose against the pressure created by the LP inflator hose.

I don't think I'm gonna practice this particular maneuver while diving though.

I think it is probably more viable than ditching the entire scuba unit and also abandoning your buddy. You must not like safety stops if you practice a CESA on MOST dives?

Thanks for your post. You may be right. For clarification, most of the time I don't have the luxury of a safety stop, as I go from depth to the first decompression stop; so I can get the distance without the DCS. :)

I've sent you a PM Jeff.

You posted publically, you can at least post your cites publically as well.

So where is this list of "a good number of certification agencies don't seem to believe in the team approach"?

The answer isn't private. Post it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom