Price of Hydrostatic Testing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The shops I've seen typically charge between 25-50 for hydro. Going straight to a hydro facility goes for something like $5-15 a tank I believe?

Here in San Diego, the range is $12.50 - $35. Low end: place that actually does the hydro. High end: an LDS that sends the tank to a place that actually does the hydro. YMMV.

Make sure you know the policy where you are.

Some places treat a Hydro as a VIP, some don't. Some places will refill it when done with the hydro, some won't.

A hydro place may charge you $15.00, but then maybe you have to drive it from their to the dive shop to pay $15.00 for the VIP and then $5.00 for the fill. Or whatever. Saves you no money*.

If hydro=VIP where you live, then saving on a hydro makes sense. Otherwise, it will not save you money to go directly to the hydro place.*

*=YMMV.

For completeness sake one dive shop charges $30.00 and another $35.00 here. But there is some gaming with the VIP and fill that actually makes the $35.00 place cheaper.

Here hydros do not count as VIPs which sucks and runs the price up.

Sport Chalet (SoCal big box scuba shop) charged me $35 for hydro and $25 for tumble last month.

Ok thanks not as bad as I thought it would be!
Depending on where you are in NC, drive to Safe Air Systems and have them hydro your tanks. They are located just south of Greensboro. Cost me $9.50 per cylinder when I had 2 of my cylinders hydro'd in February.

Google Maps version here to help you find the place.

I just had an AL80 hydro'd at my LDS this week. They do their own hydro's in-house. The total cost for hydro + VIP + air fill was $35, including tax. The last time I had a VIP and airfill only at the same shop it ran around $15.

Back
Top Bottom