Preventing mask loss vs a spare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any further observations or modifications to the design since your initial post. I like the methodology.

Cameron

I have been diving with this mask attachment for about 2 years now. I replaced the plastic webbing clip with a 1" D-ring and stainless trigger snap earlier this year to make it easier to release with gloves. The trigger snap was terrible until I tack-welded the swivel and now it is a big improvement. I installed a D-ring on the jacket of my tropical suit since I wasn't always wearing a hood.

I really like it and plan to use it until I find something better. The webbing in the back has not gotten entangled so far. I hook the mask on and let it drape over my shoulder before entering the water and just flip it off and let it hang after exiting. It is one less thing to hang onto when gearing up and I never even think of losing it in the water or dropping it on deck. I thought I would put the mask up on my forehead Mike Nelson style but for some reason I find myself just letting it hang over my shoulder.

Edit: Images per request:

Any further observations or modifications to the design since your initial post. I like the methodology.

Cameron

Here's one to consider. I have the little D-ring on my 7mm hood for cold water, wet and drysuits like the images show. I have about 6" of webbing and little D-ring sewn to the back of my 3mm tropical suit because I rarely use a hood in warm water. It is really nice to flip the mask off after a dive and let it safely hang while working my way to the bench or up the beach. That gives me time to remove gloves and/or the hood before finding a safe place for the mask -- I have prescription lenses so mask damage is very expensive.

I starting to think that having the D-ring on the suit instead of the hood is a little more convenient. The webbing is still short enough that it hasn't been an entanglement annoyance (underwater or gearing up) so far. This experiment uncovered a nice feature/technique I never anticipated. I do think that it reduced my subconscious "guard the mask" reflex/obsession stress but the real payday for me is it is one less thing to hold onto when getting to and from the water.

Last edited:
I always wear at least a 2mm cap with velcro chin strap if for nothing other than scalp protection from the sun. It suits me for both cold (for me) and warm water diving. This can be put on over mask strap. Simple solution.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom