Suggestion Prevent New Replies to Old Postings in Classifieds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
VikingDives

VikingDives

Mostly Harmless
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Locking posts after some time would keep the classified section more relevant. Newer ads would get more traction. Older posts would avoid being recycled by users asking if the item was still available.

My thought is that after 30 days of inactivity, or 90 days after the post is made, the thread is locked, so new replies are not allowed. Doing so would keep newer, more active posts alive and still allow people to contact the OP via DM on older posts, lowering the signal to noise ratio.

Just a reminder to up or downvote this suggestion to help us gauge how popular it is:

1658930738948.png

If anything mentioned above was being done regularly, I'd agree that this isn't needed but take a look at the computer classifieds as an example:

1659007313057.png

Posts from 2021 are displacing posts from this year. In the Oceanic post, the OP failed to respond in May of this year, and hasn't been seen since the 2nd of the month. Meanwhile, much more recent posts are displaced.

Maybe things could be marked as closed unless the user intervenes?

And for the new people without enough posts to initiate DMs?

Back
Top Bottom