Pretty New Diver Looking for Tips to Better Handle Future "Situations"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have your own criteria for when you would call a dive? I am really curious what that looks like for other divers just as a set of standards, though I'm sure it varies quite a bit based on experience, personal preferences, etc. Thank you again!
Thanks for taking the time to respond to everyone individually. You don't have to do that, but it was nice.

To answer your question. The idea of personal minimums comes from aviation. There are legal requirements that a pilot has to take into account for such things as visibility, runway length, and crosswinds over the runway. But pilots, especially private pilots, are encouraged to think about their personal skills and how recently they have practiced these skills and set their own minimums accordingly.

As for me, I mostly dive in vacation spots and don't get seasick so my minimums pretty much align with the operators'. But when diving with my wife or son, I've passed on dives when it was very choppy or visibility was very poor.

@Diverlady13, thank you so much for all of this helpful info. I am going to try to learn more about shark dives and what all they entail. Truth be told, I'm a bit scared of sharks, but I see everyone else who dives getting so jazzed about them, and I know that divers are so rarely attacked, that I figure it must be just sensitive from shark hype and media.... :confused:

I am going to hunt for some candied ginger to add to meds for future dives. I suspect I can get this under control, and if I can't for some reason, know there are lots of places with calmer waters, or know I can time dives differently in the future.

If I can just figure out how to get back on the boat while taking my fins off, especially when they say we have to take them off some distance from the boat before we approach the ladder and climb it (apparently this was for safety on day 2, it seems) I think that will help a lot to minimize nausea.

Finally, thank you for all the tips about when to call a dive, and your thought process in general. I think I am a lot like you... a bit high strung, super detail oriented, usually do really well in tough situations because I know what to do. I think part of why I was so upset from this all was because I felt like I SHOULD know what to do but did not have time to think or process, and I was not experienced enough to put my logic in place over what was happening. I am beyond grateful for this board, truly, and all of the help from you and others. Thank you!!!

@lowwall -- thank you. I felt like I posted a novella, and I know it was a major chunk to read. I was pretty upset about the whole thing, and I am unbelievably grateful to you and to everyone who took the time to read my outpour and to offer advice. I am feeling so much better, so much calmer, and so much more informed... not to mention armed with a variety of new topics to research to help further my understanding of diving. Thank you!!!! :)

Diving condition is very dynamic ie can change very quickly without much warning. You have to be ready for the unexpected.
Down/up current is the one that most divers found it difficult to deal with because it was never mentioned in any courses, mine at least. I first came across the topic through reading diving magazine and then experienced it. Really need quick reaction to get away with it. Luckily those current is quite localized and if you are diving with guide then he/she should know about and mention it on the pre-dive briefing.
Signaling device is a must even if you do not have any diving equipment. Do not overlook the importance of it.

Happy diving.

If you are not ready to buy a full set of gear, a BCD ought to be the last thing you get. They are not all at individual and can be easily rented. A regulator set (1st stage and two 2nd stages) is very personal and one of the most likely things to not work when rented and most critical when it fails. You need your own computer so you get used to it and know how to read and understand it at a glance.

If I can just figure out how to get back on the boat while taking my fins off, especially when they say we have to take them off some distance from the boat before we approach the ladder and climb it (apparently this was for safety on day 2, it seems) I think that will help a lot to minimize nausea.
A few things.

First, boarding a dive boat in “sporty seas” is a challenge for the best of us. For me, since I don’t get seasick, it is the worst part of rough seas. Some boats, in rough seas, will ask you to remove your fins on a line so you are not at the boat to do this as it is bouncing up and down on the waves and then you just pull yourself to the boat. It could even be a line they throw out to divers for just this purpose, a trail line or I have heard it called a tag line. I hate it! Especially when the end is not secured and just wants to get wrapped around me by the waves.

Second, time the ladder. Get stable in the water and take a few moments to watch the pattern. Then just step on the ladder when it comes down and ride it up as it crests the wave. Then climb as it descends.

And FWIW except for shore diving Bonaire, drift diving is my fovorite type of dive. With a little practice it is so easy. Little to no navigation or swimming. And when you are ready to go up, the boat comes to pick you up! In both Cozumel and Jupiter/WPB the boat provides a guide that pulls the flag. Eze-peeasy!

@Diverlady13 if you want to do drift diving as a class you certainly can. But every dive op I know in Cozumel will take very good care of you as new to drift divers and will basically teach you as they go. I have even seen them hold hands with a newish diver with poor buoyancy control and try and help them improve.

They only thing I would add that you might not already have is a safety sausage or DSMB in case you do not ascend with the guide.

I should add too that like you we had great first for us ocean dives (we certified in a local quarry) with Key Dives in Islamorada. Then drove to Marathon for our next dives. It was bad. A lot of it was on us but the dive op was not blameless. We canceled the next day and went back to Key. So did the other diver on that boat that we had never meet before.

That experience was much of the impetus for for taking AOW in WPB.

I understand your reluctance to name the op but a shop that would tell a newish diver to enter rough seas and wait at the bottom, and then dive without locating her, is NOT a shop for newish divers and I think you are justified to get that word out.

Pittsburgh Mom,

Good job getting through a difficult situation. I generally agree with the comments about the dive operator, but there are a couple pieces you can learn to manage better.

1. Improve buddy communication. If you and your husband are going to be buddies, you need to agree on how you will handle each dive. Descending alone in limited visibility is seldom a good idea. Usually, especially for new divers, it's best for the first buddy in the water to wait for the other on the surface trail line, do a weight check together, and proceed to the descent point together. Sometimes, depending on surface conditions and chop, it may make sense for buddies to meet at the bottom of the mooring buoy or anchor line--but you need to discuss it with each other beforehand, and agree on a plan for what to do if you don't find each other or if you become separated later. Under no circumstances should one of you be off looking at pretty fish without knowing the other is safe.

2. Resist peer pressure to hurry. Unless you're doing a hot drop and getting in the water promptly really does matter, do not let anyone rush your preparations. Often on cattle boats, there is a surge of humanity pulsating toward the stern as soon as the captain opens the pool. You do not have to join this mob. Take your time, finish your self and buddy check, and proceed aft only when you are ready.

3. Resist peer pressure to dive when you're unsure about conditions. Being seasick, rattled by the tanks banging around, nervous about the sea state, and doubtful about the dive's leadership and organization gave you ample reasons to call the dive. Don't let anyone talk you into a dive you're not comfortable with. Seasickness does often abate once divers get under water, but it should be your decision and only your decision to attempt the dive when already nauseated. It might be better to be seasick on the boat than to be overwhelmed by all the factors attendant to this chaotic dive.

Anyway, glad you made it through okay.

Best wishes,

P.S. I must admit being misled by the thread title. I was afraid a new diver, who happened to be pretty, had found herself in a situation in which she received unwanted attention. Glad it wasn't that.

Thank you for your response. These were all good lessons. I'll be really honest, as stupid as this sounds, I did not really think I could "call it" (did not know that was quite a thing), and I did not really think, as you say so simply, "but you are a certified diver. You decided to enter the water in those conditions, you determined that the conditions were within your capacity." I guess in my mind, I thought, the dive operator knows how experienced or inexperienced we each are, and they would not bring us out if it weren't safe... or they'd tell some of us the site was not optimal for us. The day before, the operator formed small groups of solos/buddies that seemed to be based on experience level. Frankly, I think in our society, we've all gotten so used to litigation causing businesses to coddle us that I, foolishly, just figured the operator would take full responsibility for where it put us. That is, if they said it was okay to dive, and they knew how inexperienced some of us were, then clearly it was fine to dive. Except... it wasn't. Again, I know that sounds really stupid... but I am glad I learned it NOW instead of in the future, when the situation may even have been more dangerous. Thank you again!

Thanks and remember this idea as you contemplate a shark dive. The operators have ZERO control over sharks, if you think otherwise....well...

First, boarding a dive boat in “sporty seas” is a challenge for the best of us.

Any tips at all to make it easier? Someone made an offhand comment about getting bungees to hold their fins on, but I have never tried them. Thank you, too, for the tips on timing the ladder. I think that sounds super savvy and doable, especially if I can get my nausea under control.

I am super interested in trying drift diving now. Just more practice and comfort in the water first, but I am planning for a summer of diving and practice to get more experience!

Do divers who rent BCDs still carry some of their own gear like safety sausages?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom