Prettiest dive sites near Van Damme State Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjd001

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK, so no abalone diving this year... If we still go camp up at Van Damme State Park or Albion on Memorial Day and/or Labor Day weekends, where should we go tank diving?

I've gone diving off the beach at Van Damme and was really not impressed with the scenery. Looking for pretty spots with lots of life to see and photograph. Willing to drive a bit. Suggestions?

Thanks!

OK, so no abalone diving this year... If we still go camp up at Van Damme State Park or Albion on Memorial Day and/or Labor Day weekends, where should we go tank diving?

I've gone diving off the beach at Van Damme and was really not impressed with the scenery. Looking for pretty spots with lots of life to see and photograph. Willing to drive a bit. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Russian Gulch can be fun, both in the cove (very shallow) and outside. As always be careful, conditions can change quickly up there.

I second Russian Gulch.
However, to get out to the better structure you might want to use a kayak. It can be done from shore but it is quite a long surface swim to get past all the blah. If you do shore dive it, stick to the right side along the wall and it progressively gets better and better as you go out.

Albion can be great too but it’s also best done from a kayak.

There is one really great shore dive that I should mention off of the Mendocino Headland. Drive through the town of Mendocino and go out to the headland. There is an area to park along the road with a long pull out. You will see a land bridge formed by rocks and to the right of the land bridge is another land mass. These two promonories form a channel about 20’ wide, and it’s about 35’ deep right where the two points come together. They also form a beautifull cove inside that is very calm but it’s a bit of a hike to get down to. There are two trails down. The one on the right side is long but not as steep, and the left side (land bridge side) is steep but shorter. If you decide to climb down to the end of the landbridge side you can giant stride right off the edge of the rock and you’ll be in 35’ of water! It depends on how sturdy you feel you are doing some hiking/climbing in scuba gear.
In between these two land masses is what they call “The Pipe”. It’s an old decommissioned sewer pipe that runs fown in between the land bridge and the other land mass. Follow the pipe down through terrain that cascades down with all sorts of little mini walls and buss size boulders down to about 65’ into the gravel where the pipe ends. There are some big Cabezon hiding under the pipe in places where it’s elevated and some good size lingcod too. There used to be abalone everywhere through there and of course all the test of the stuff you’d normally see. If you look hard enough you might see a wolf eel or an octopus.

Also, Van Damme can be a great dive if you have a kayak and can manage to get out past the furthest rock, which is the “Keyhole”.
*On a good day*, you can anchor right on the outside edge of the Keyhole rock and five the outside, which is a wall dive that cascades down to about 120’.
Once at the base you will see several symetrical sand channels that form what look like city streets with towering buildings on either side with intersections, very bazaar and interesting. It’s deep though so watch your time because it’s easy to get caught up in wanting to see what’s around the next corner. And it’s easy to get lost, which also might mean you’ll be doing a free ascent out in open ocean in a boating lane, so pay attention and find your way back to the wall you came down to find your way back to your kayak. On the way up the wall I have seen a lot of cool stuff. It’s a great wall to do some deco on.

Hope all that helps.
Happy diving!

They also form a beautifull cove inside that is very calm but it’s a bit of a hike to get down to.

LOL, the hike down is easy -- back up after a dive with all your wet gear, not so much. Make sure you have good footwear. Climbing the steps in wetsuit socks (boots without a hard sole) can be dangerous. It will be interesting to see if the tsunami hits this morning. No worries, my shop floor is at 168'.

There is one really great shore dive that I should mention off of the Mendocino Headland.

Great dive, I usually drop off the rocks by the land bridge and come back up the path. In my youth I would come back up the land bridge, but it's not easy and I no longer try.

At Van Damme I usually swim out past the reef and then start my dive, and people wonder why I defend the use of a snorkel.

Another good swim is off Caspar Cove to point off to the left.

A walk would be for Jack Peters Gulch. There is a road on the north side of the gulch and near its end is a path out to the rocks where you can get in and out, better with a buddy to help with the exit.

I've always figured that if you could get in and out anywhere along the NorCal coast would be a good dive, if you were willing to swim a ways. Never been disappointed, although it would be better to have a boat.

Bob

2nd on Caspar Cove. There some cool old remenants from the barges and what not that they pulled in at that cove....if the urchins have not covered it that is!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom