Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have some smaller cylinders, 1.5 cf, 9 cf and 11 cf, that I use for soaking regs.

Usually dive shops won't charge for a fill for a smaller cylinder that is brought in with a couple larger ones. Or you can use a transfill whip. The smaller cylinder doesn't have to be full to be useful.

Spare air cylinders don't have the right cylinder threads to accept a standard valve, so you would want to avoid those.

The cheapest way, as far as I can tell, is get a plastic bin at the hardware store that is big enough for the tank you are using for your dives plus reg set. When you get home fill the bin, attach the reg set to the tank, open the tank and put it all in the bin. You get a cleaned tank and a pressurized soaking for the reg.

Erik

To the OP, if you go the spare air route... just make a fill adapter to fill it off of a full size tank at the dive site. But I would recommend getting an AL19 or similar.... you may someday want it as a pony bottle.... but I originally bought mine just to have a compact air source at home for testing gear.
For all with multiple regs to soak, I just made a splitter out of BCD male disconnects ( DGX Adapter: 1/4-Inch NPT Male = BC Inflator QD Post )and a regular Air compressor manifold block. As long as you have a good Witch's hat style dust cap with an O-ring on the reg/regs being fed through their BCD hose, you can soak them all off one tank at once.
Respectfully,

James

I agree with @halocline that pressurized soaking is not necessary. If you're concerned water might get into the second stage and make it all the way through the low pressure hose into the first stage: put a broom handle or something similar over the soak bucket and drape the stages over each side. To be extra sure, leave the first stage just a bit higher than the second stages.

If you MUST soak pressurized, get a pony bottle (one that you can use elsewhere-13cu ft min) and drop the entire assembly into your favorite container. To refill your pony consider this: Tank Equalizer for $2.50

Getting back to soaking. After a saltwater trip, soak overnight-not just a few hours. After soaking, blow everything out and let dry before putting away.

Thanks all, as I said in the OP I want to follow the manual guidance and pressure soak them (otherwise I don't see the point in a manual ) so I'll be getting a bottle of some kind, probably the smallest pony bottle I can get. I won't be using it to dive with anytime soon (I'm only doing vacation rec). I appreciate the future thoughts but it's not something I'll be needing. I just need a simple system that'll work. If it's cheap that's a bonus .

@James79 thanks for the tip, do you know about a fill adaptor I could buy, or maybe even a thread size they generally use? I'm not really comfortable making my own and don't have a load of kit (let alone tools!) - yet

Thanks all, as I said in the OP I want to follow the manual guidance and pressure soak them (otherwise I don't see the point in a manual ) so I'll be getting a bottle of some kind, probably the smallest pony bottle I can get. I won't be using it to dive with anytime soon (I'm only doing vacation rec). I appreciate the future thoughts but it's not something I'll be needing. I just need a simple system that'll work. If it's cheap that's a bonus .

@James79 thanks for the tip, do you know about a fill adaptor I could buy, or maybe even a thread size they generally use? I'm not really comfortable making my own and don't have a load of kit (let alone tools!) - yet

Are there many used tanks in your area? Ex. Aluminum 80. They’re generally under $100 used. That could satisfy your stated purpose AND be used on a dive.

If you think you’re going to use a pony bottle at some point...get something in the AL19 to AL40 range. That way you aren’t spending your money on a $140 paper weight (ex. The Spare Air).

Are there many used tanks in your area? Ex. Aluminum 80. They’re generally under $100 used. That could satisfy your stated purpose AND be used on a dive.

Unfortunately only one pony on local 2nd hand forums I've looked on (need to check on this site though)! It's a 1.5l, but it's basically the same price of a new one...

I presume you mean excluding aluminium 80? Why not? (showing my newbie ). What would it be instead?

Unfortunately only one pony on local 2nd hand forums I've looked on (need to check on this site though)! It's a 1.5l, but it's basically the same price of a new one...

I presume you mean excluding aluminium 80? Why not? (showing my newbie ). What would it be instead?

I meant aluminum 80, as an example of what to buy. It would be much more useful for you than a Spare Air.

How much is a new tank locally? Even if it’s ~$200...it would be a better idea than a Spare Air.

Have you tried asking around? Ex. Dive shops. I bought one tank from someone at a dive shop. It wasn’t even for sale. I just happened to have the same random tank, asked if they had any interest in selling it, and it just so happened they did. You never know.

Another option is to post a Want to Buy add in the regional forum here.

Edit: Not a lot of traffic in there, but it could be worth asking.
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/forums/the-gulf.466/
The Gulf

Thanks all, as I said in the OP I want to follow the manual guidance and pressure soak them (otherwise I don't see the point in a manual )

If you notice in the manual it’s a recommendation and not a mandate. With a few precautions a reg can safely be soaked dry. Also since you’re a vacation only diver just put it on a rental tank and rinse it thoroughly at the end of your day of diving. Then give it a good dry soaking when you get home. For those that don’t have their own tanks that is what the vast majority of people do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom