Pressed Steel Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgarysmith

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just bought 2 new PST 120 E-7's. Cand anyone tell me if the can be coated with some sort of clear coat to prevent it from getting the dull finish it turns to? I know most serious divers preffer them to turn grey,but I don't. I like the way the look coming from the shop. Any suggestions?

Leave them ALONE! The galvanizing works by sacrificial corrosion. Coat it with anything and you kill the protection!

If you HAVE to have them shiny get a tube of Flitz metal polish and have at it after each dive. Dull will get to be quite beautiful after about half the tube is gone!

FT

jgarysmith:
Just bought 2 new PST 120 E-7's. Cand anyone tell me if the can be coated with some sort of clear coat to prevent it from getting the dull finish it turns to? I know most serious divers preffer them to turn grey,but I don't. I like the way the look coming from the shop. Any suggestions?

When they turn grey sell them to me and buy more. I don't care whether or not the gear looks faded.

Warren_L:
Peel those big nasty honkin stickers off too. A hair dryer and a little time worked wonders for mine.

PST uses a hot glue for those stickers. Any heat source will help get the stickers off. Hot water in the bathtub also works well.

You guys are killing me. What's wrong with a shiny new tank? I happen to like the big sticker and sniny silver finish. Any way, how long until it looks dull and grey. Will that make me a diver then?

they get dull in a hurry. I probably have a dozen dives on mine and they're not shiny anymore. Never thought to remove sticker, but thanks for the tips guys. Will be doing that once I get home.

stickers tend to promote corrosion from what ive heard.
ive seen alot of examples of tanks that failed vip because the vip sticker was under the boot.
its a REALLY REALLY REALLY good idea to take the boot off every couple dives and wash the salt away.

Don't use heat on the sticker!!! It's too much work. Take a brand new single edge razor blade and lift the edge up enough to get ahold of it and peel the entire thing off. I have done three so far, and the first one was with heat and was way too much work...the other two that I used with the razor blade took about 30 seconds.

I pulled the PST stickers off my tank without heat or a razor blade. They just came right off. I was going to leave them on - screw what everyone else thinks- but I had no room for my Nitrox sticker. So I had to pull em off.

My girlfriend and her 5 y/o both thought the tanks looked much better with the PST sticker on. :11ztongue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom