presidents' day weekend dive reports + hijack away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

some tight spots down there..

so...I say there is only room for three max, what say you?

Two is nice, three is possible, four is a cluster.

I think it needs to be said that four cannot penetrate the engine room with aplomb.

Walter, I agree with you.

catherine96821:
... needs to be said that four cannot penetrate the engine room with aplomb..
i agree catherine.. couldn't do it with aplomb.. but definitely with great poise and composure with a nectarine :wink:

and walter.. i too am all for having two separate federal holidays in february..
"Lincoln's birthday February 12. And, Washington's birthday February 22."

so.. can i take this thursday off?

catherine, WC.. i think you should talk to LL.. she'd mandate it in hawaii for sure :D

Like you need more time off........ i'll call George about it in the AM.

Wildcard:
...i saw a monk seal inside Hickam harbor today....
a monk seal! cool.. which part of the harbor? did you notice its tag number?

i've never heard of 'em being seen at hickam.. you could report it to NOAA..
here's what they emailed back to me last time..
Erin NOAA:
Aloha,
My name is Erin and I work for the Hawaiian Monk Seal program on Oahu. I work on Main Hawaiian Island sightings and am very glad you took the time to report your sighting. The seal you saw is RV08, nicknamed Buster by volunteers and he's a year and a half old. He was born on Rabbit Island, an islet off of Oahu in 2005. His mother, RS00, has a really interesting history. She was born at Midway Atoll in 1992 and was seen there every year until 1998 when she was sighted at Laysan Island.She stayed at Laysan for two years until she moved to the main Hawaiian islands in 2000! Since then, she's been seen at Molokai, Kauai, Hawaii and Oahu.

Whenever you see a monk seal, give us a call on the sighting line (808-220-7802) and let us know. The Oahu sighting line is based in Honolulu and handles all MHI sightings. Calls go directly to a cell phone and calls are answered seven days a week.

For a toll-free number, call: NMFS Hotline: 1-888-256-9840 this number is answered 24 hrs a day, seven days a week by an answering service in Seattle. This is the number to call for an injured or dead seal or if you feel a seal is being disturbed or harmed and needs immediate attention. You can also use this number to report sightings (operators are from the mainland, so be patient with them when trying to give Hawaiian names).

Thanks again for your sighting and please give our number to all your diving buddies!

Aloha,
Erin

by the way, guess what splashed out behind the boat today while fueling......didn't see any number but, it was a monk seal got 2 looks at him and then he was gone.

mrjimboalaska:
by the way, guess what splashed out behind the boat today while fueling... didn't see any number but, it was a monk seal.. got 2 looks at him and then he was gone.
wow! that's awesome!
'wonder if it was the same one wildcard saw..
maybe a whole family has moved into the hickam harbor..

the "numbers" are normally on 2 red square plastic tags on both hind flippers..
(some/'few of the older ones have a "bleached-in" number on their back)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom