Preserving Rubber Parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ijkowalc

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just that? I never set out to be a vintage diver I just always used what my father used, which is a Scubapro MK2 and R109 second stage.

Is there an accpeted school of thought on preserving rubber hoses, exhaust tees, and regulator covers, parts are getting hard to find. (Or are they?)

Less important follow up which I hope is not a lightning rod, but I am new to my area and asked about servicing the reg at a local shop, they said if they cannot find parts they would happily let me trade it in towards a new reg. This did not sit well. So lets talk second stage only, how many people here really take their R109's in for "professional" service? I cannot imagine a simpler reg, is this something I can do myself? Or maybe I should put it another way; I have been doing this myself annually for three years now, should I not be?

An R109 is probably my favorite 2nd stage. I don't think they can be beat for a simple. reliable regulator that still provides excellent performance. While that reg is finished if you severely damage the case or clamps, all other parts to repair it are still available today although some may be newer plastic versions replacing older metal parts. That is because it share many parts with the still fairly modern and popular G-series regs from Scubaspro. And covers and exhaust-Ts are still available from Scubapro. If you have the upgraded poppet that takes the replaceable seats, then you should be thinking of passing that regulator down for at least one more generation.

Stored in a living space away from electrical sources, even the rubber parts should enjoy a long life. I have seen some where the rubber was dried and cracked but I'll bet they spent a long time in someone's garage or storage shed.

Just that? I never set out to be a vintage diver I just always used what my father used, which is a Scubapro MK2 and R109 second stage.

Is there an accpeted school of thought on preserving rubber hoses, exhaust tees, and regulator covers, parts are getting hard to find. (Or are they?)

Less important follow up which I hope is not a lightning rod, but I am new to my area and asked about servicing the reg at a local shop, they said if they cannot find parts they would happily let me trade it in towards a new reg. This did not sit well. So lets talk second stage only, how many people here really take their R109's in for "professional" service? I cannot imagine a simpler reg, is this something I can do myself? Or maybe I should put it another way; I have been doing this myself annually for three years now, should I not be?

I have a 109 2nd and MK V first that has never had anything other than O rings replaced.

Save a steamroller you can panel beat and re chrome them if ever required. I run mine balanced with epdm o rings. Doesn't sit well with me either. If your'e happy, I'm happy. Vinyl reviver, silicone?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom