prescrption mask or new contacts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamarinda:
Hi all,

I'm wondering if it's worth learning to wear contacts in order to dive with better vision. I'm recruiting my boyfriend into the scuba fold (he's a willing newbie), but has pretty horrible vision. Astigmatism too. He's used glasses his whole adult life (25 years). We're going diving in late January.

Do you think prescription lenses are worth it? Last person I knew used them spent tons of money for the lenses, then the mask leaked because the store didn't fit him right. I know we can test the mask in the pool before getting the lenses, but...a new mask for $100 or more each time the prescription changes, which could be annually...well...

I've been wearing contacts for so long I've forgotten what it was like to begin, touching your eye and all. Anyone new to contacts (especially men, since they don't wear makeup and so aren't used to futzing with their eyes) who can tell me if learning was really stressful? Too tough to do in 6 weeks?

Thanks!
Tell him to get lasik. I used to where contacts for years before I had lasik done.

Dave Zimmerly:
DaisyDiver - believe it or not your eyeballs are the same size now as when you were born. They never grow in size. That's why babies look "cute" with those big eyes. Another fact is that there are no veins or arteries connecting your eyes to your bloodstream. Oxygen is provided through osmosis.

Back to the subject...I prefer to wear disposable contacts. Lost one or two during some dives but always carry a couple of extra.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I do not think this is true, infant's eyes are between 65 and 75 percent of their adult size,they do not grow alot,but whatever it seems everyone has a different opinion :05: , I agree I prefer disposable because if you loose one or both you do not have to worry.

I usually wear my glasses. Checked into lenses for my mask $$$.

I just wear my contacts when diving instead. My astigmatism is very bad and is getting worse, so Lasik is not an option for me right now. Football shaped eyeball...

hmmmm, interesting reading - even though i am very nearsighted - it seems that if i can get contact lenses that i can see well with - that is preferable to a prescription mask...- what types of lenses - soft lenses? gas permeable?? i have heard that gas permeable give crisper vision than soft - which type are OK for dives??

tealover18@aol.com

underachiever:
I am new to diving and presently wearing contacts in the pool (CWD). With a normal lens mask. I wear 2 different strentghs. Having a little trouble focusing in the guages under the water. Any suggestions. This is only pool time. We get to hit the Keys in a couple of weeks.
I would get soft, disposable ones, in slightly less power so you can see better close up, and there is no need to be able to see underwater perfectly 200ft away (well, if you do need to, I'm jelous)
This is what I'm doing so I can see my gauges better (-6 normal, and use -5.5 underwater, want to try 5.25 or 5.0)
Oh, this goes only if your nearsighted
DB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom