prescrption mask or new contacts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When a patient comes to my office for contact lenses, it is usually a multi-step procedure:

During the initial visit we examine the ocular health, determine the current eyeglass prescription, and determine an initial contact lens prescription. In the case of toric contact lenses for astigmatism, the procedure is a bit more complex, but we stock many of these lenses in the office. If we do not have the lens in stock, we order a trial pair, which usually arrive within a few days. At any rate, either at the initial visit or at the followup, the lenses are placed on the patient's eyes, and they are given about 10 minutes for the lens to settle. Usually at this point the vision and comfort are pretty good. The patient returns for instruction, which consists of watching a brief videotape, then working with our technician who shows the patient how to insert and remove the lenses and how to care for them. Once the patient can satisfactorily do these things, they are instructed as to the care of the lenses, which in the case of disposable lenses is really quite simple. They leave with the lenses, and return a week later for a followup. 90% of patients are successfully fit and are comfortable with the lenses within 1 week. Occassionally other trial lenses need to be ordered, and this is more likely with astigmatic contact lenses which are more complex. Disposable lenses are the way to go for most patients, due to better ocular health, convenience (cleaning and disinfection are simple and fast), and having extra lenses expecially for those who travel.

I wear glasses, am very nearsited (-6) and do not like wearing contacts , but even though I think there a pain to wear, sometimes having to fiddle with them to get them in .. I wear them when I dive and have not thought about a mask because I would have to have my glasses handy for when I take it off so I could see. The only other time I wear them is when I'm with my friend , she says she wants to see my beautiful blue eyes :D ... I bet if you say something similar to him, he will have no problem in wanting to wear them :05:
DB

D_B:
The only other time I wear them is when I'm with my friend , she says she wants to see my beautiful blue eyes :D ... I bet if you say something similar to him, he will have no problem in wanting to wear them :05:
DB

Thanks DB! I'll give your tip a try. Flattery often works...

And thanks to everyone for the input. I forgot the multiple steps in getting contacts, so being reminded by idocsteve was great. But I agree with the general consensus: contacts are groovy. If I can convince him, we'll go that way. He's being brave to try the diving in the first place...we'll see if he can add a vision change at the same time...

Has he tried to dive without corrective lenses. I have an astigmatism and have worn glasses since I was 3 years old, That said I see great with just my mask underwater, It is almost like the water corrects for the astigmatism.

Dennis

I'm nearsighted with astigmatism. I use prescription lenses for my mask. Its because I can't wear contacts (not used to it). In my opinion, prescription masks are better in case your mask gets flooded.

I've seen answers go both ways on if you lose your mask under water and open your eyes, will your contacts float away ... I've flooded my mask and cleared it with no problems but have not swam without it, with my eyes open.
Wearing contacts and losing your mask underwater procedures ... do youi look for it? Does your buddy look for it while you stay where you are? ... have a plan. It is something you should remember to discuss with your dive buddy, as you should all things particular to your diving setup.

DB

great thread lots of info so far.

ive just been extended the invitation to join a trip to the montebello islands off west aust where ill have the opportunity to snorkel/freedive/scuba. so first up is getting a refresher course on scuba secondly is addressing my vision.

ive not scuba'd for about 8 yrs now, and not free dived for about 4. since i've last scuba'd my script has changed from mild to wild (not sure of my exact script, its been about 3 yrs since i looked at it), and i can't remember what it was like free diving sans vision aids.

i've only ever used spectacles, never contacts. im planning on getting retested and getting new glasses at some point in the future just not before the new year. my trip departs in a couple of weeks so i've got limited time to find a solution.

im not planning on diving with frequency in the future (maybe a few times a year) so the cost of buying a mask and then getting lenses for it isn't very attractive to me when i can otherwise just use the onboard gear if i use disposable contacts

would it be most advisable to go see my optometrist and speak to them about my options regarding disposable contacts? my main concerns would be putting them in and out or losing them.

should i be looking towards single day lenses, 1 week, 2 week, etc etc?

Hey Skyskraper,

I wear contacts when I dive, the ones I use are 1 day disposables. I haven't had them wash out yet, the soft ones actual hold pretty well to your eye. When I told my Eye doc I was going to be diving with them in he recommended the one day kind, so that whatever nasties happen to be in the water don't bind to the contacts (they're porous) and infect the eye. I just throw them away at the end of the last dive.

Also that way I don’t have to go hunting for my glasses as soon as I get out of the water. Soft contacts are generally comfortable and easy to get used to. Good Luck.

Jake

Before my surgery, I wore glasses for 33 years. I had a prescription dive mask that worked very well. I always made sure it was clipped to my bc in between dives on boats to make sure it didn't go overboard or get stepped on, etc.

Contrary to what eyeglass salesmen tell you, you're eyes don't change every year (if you're an adult). Also, you could keep the old prescription in the mask when you get new glasses for on land. So you could go 5-6 years on one mask prescription.

I tried contacts several times over the years, but I just can't stick those things in my eyes. I know people who dive with disposible contacts and it's not a problem.

I would up getting Lasik, and that solved the whole problem. I can drive, read, and dive w/o glasses now.

Put another one down for contacts! I usually wear glasses unless playing contact sports (hockey & lacrosse) or diving. Although I always bring spairs with me, I haven't had to crack open another lens pack because of a mishap.

I do remember it taking a couple of days to adjust to wearing the lens, but now it is a distance memory. Diving would not be as pleasurable without wearing some form of correction (-4.5 & -3.5). Mask floods and clears are second nature with no lens loss.

Back
Top Bottom