prescrption mask or new contacts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamarinda

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wondering if it's worth learning to wear contacts in order to dive with better vision. I'm recruiting my boyfriend into the scuba fold (he's a willing newbie), but has pretty horrible vision. Astigmatism too. He's used glasses his whole adult life (25 years). We're going diving in late January.

Do you think prescription lenses are worth it? Last person I knew used them spent tons of money for the lenses, then the mask leaked because the store didn't fit him right. I know we can test the mask in the pool before getting the lenses, but...a new mask for $100 or more each time the prescription changes, which could be annually...well...

I've been wearing contacts for so long I've forgotten what it was like to begin, touching your eye and all. Anyone new to contacts (especially men, since they don't wear makeup and so aren't used to futzing with their eyes) who can tell me if learning was really stressful? Too tough to do in 6 weeks?

Thanks!

tamarinda:
Hi all,

I'm wondering if it's worth learning to wear contacts in order to dive with better vision. I'm recruiting my boyfriend into the scuba fold (he's a willing newbie), but has pretty horrible vision. Astigmatism too. He's used glasses his whole adult life (25 years). We're going diving in late January.

Do you think prescription lenses are worth it? Last person I knew used them spent tons of money for the lenses, then the mask leaked because the store didn't fit him right. I know we can test the mask in the pool before getting the lenses, but...a new mask for $100 or more each time the prescription changes, which could be annually...well...

I've been wearing contacts for so long I've forgotten what it was like to begin, touching your eye and all. Anyone new to contacts (especially men, since they don't wear makeup and so aren't used to futzing with their eyes) who can tell me if learning was really stressful? Too tough to do in 6 weeks?

Thanks!

Astigmatism too...me too!

This is what I do.
I wear contacts with my regular perscription and use bi-focal lenses in my mask.

So....when the perscription changes all I do is go to a new contact lens perscription.

Ron

Your boyfriend sounds like a good candidate for toric disposable contact lenses. I wear Bausch & Lomb Softlens 66 lenses, and I love them.

Can't really say how long it would take to get used to contacts. I've been wearing them about 20 years myself. :11:

___

I am nearsighted and even though it's not horrible I still use prescription lenses. The ones you buy at the dive shop only correct diopters-not astigmatism. If it is mild then there's no problem, but if it's really that bad they probably won't work well for him. Too bad since they only cost around $35 a piece.

My GF cannot wear contacts because of allergies. She has opted for prescription lenses in her mask.

The cost is actually quite reasonable: it was 60$ CDN per lens... About the same price as basic lenses for glasses.

The potential problem: what if the mask is lost when you're on vacation... This happened to us... (The mask fell off the boat in 120 ft; luckily, another group diving the same spot after us found the mask and brought it back to the dock) She couldn't see very well with a loaner mask on the dive before our return to dock...

Food for thought...

Alex

I switched to contacts for diving a few years ago. It's really nice to actually see when I take my mask off. It only takes a few days for your eyes to adjust to disposables. I use Accuvue Advance which I find very comfortable. Note: I only use contacts during diving season and regular glasses the rest of the time.

Another vote for contacts here (if they can wear them).

I wear a toric in one eye and an asphyric (sp?) in the other (both disposables). Much cheaper than prescription mask and easily changed if your eyes change. Never had a problem yet even with all the mask drills in Open Water.

I wear my contacts. I thought I might get a prescription lens but I've had no trouble with mask floods and my contacts. I can even usually open my eyes under water for a little while without losing them. I wear disposables and take several pairs on vacation - so it’s no big loss if one did happen to get lost

I've worn contacts for over 10 years while diving and I am an intructor so I have demo all the mask clearing skills regularly...Never once lost a contact.

I use mono vision contacts since my near vision really sucks and far not too much better. Only issue I have ever had with contacts is when I'm using my video camera I gotta remember to put my near contact in my right eye to see the image on the viewfinder

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom