Prescription mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My astigmastism is not bad, but the correction for my near-sightedness really helps when doing any long distance viewing (like scuba in decent viz). My mask has off-the-shelf corrective lenses that replaced the "normal" lens glass. These lenses only fit certain masks, but I found a mask that fit me that does take these lenses. One advantage is that when my prescription changes enough, I simply buy new lenses.

I use an Rx mask and wouldn't have it any other way. I spent too much money on gear and my certs to not see what there is to see. I've heard too many nasty stories about infected eyes, and losing a contact because the mask got nocked off. Better to use an Rx mask and just put it back on (after thinking a few choice words) and press on with the dive.

Someone complained about having to buy a new one every time your Rx changes... I bought mine 9 years ago and am still diving with the same Rx despite slight changes in my Rx over the years. Granted my Rx hasn't changed a lot and other might change more drastically, but for the hour that I'm under water the change in Rx from my top side glasses isn't even noticable. I do admit it's time to get a new Rx mask though. I'll keep my old one as a backup.

My two cents.

Back
Top Bottom