Prescription mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just tried out my new prescription mask from Snorkel Mart (Model Spirit 2 --$58.95 plus shipping) and what a bargain. I can actually make out stuff 10-30 feet away. Got no interest in this company but am a satisfied customer.

I wear contacts and glasses. I was wondering is really worth it to buy the Rx mask. Im just starting out diving and have dove without my contacts and it sucks bad. Ive gotten mixed answers whenever i asked people at my LDS. Do you find it practical to have a Rx mask?

I have one of each.
I teach with an Rx mask in the pool. We do a lot of no mask drills every day, so it's better than diving with contacts, or diving blind. Downside is I have to have my glasses with me for surface or talk with a mask on so I can see.
When I do real diving, I use a normal non-rx mask with my contacts. Allows me to use sunglasses on the surface and if for whatever reason end up having to switch masks *I'm really comfy without one, and don't need to see anything except my SPG really. If a buddies breaks, I'll give him mine and I'll go without*, he won't get a wicked headache trying to use an Rx. All depends on your personal preference. Only problem I foresee with diving with contacts is if your eyes are prone to getting dry, you're screwed. I take my mask off and pinch the contacts a bit with my eyes closed, but it doesn't work all the time and is a PiTA

I never could get the hang of contacts, so I wear glasses on land and a prescription mask in the water. I have a small dry box to stash my glasses in when I'm diving.

A prescription mask is absolutely worth it to me as it's the same as wearing my glasses underwater. It does make for a spendy piece of dive gear, though, so I keep my primary in a Pelican box.

I have an Rx mask. Only problem is that mine is a bifical so I have to hold them down a bit to keep the lower Rx out of my field of vision. My second mask is normal. I slightly prefer my Rx but it is a close call. I can still read with non Rx.

Just tried out my new prescription mask from Snorkel Mart (Model Spirit 2 --$58.95 plus shipping) and what a bargain. I can actually make out stuff 10-30 feet away. Got no interest in this company but am a satisfied customer.

Absolutely. I have worn contacts before but not in the realm of diving. The perscription mask works wonders as it does not give your eyes that icky sensation you SOMETIMES get. Also when diving submersed in water there is always a concern about water possibly washing out contacts though this tends to be more of a concern then it is a reality.

In the event some unseen reason you would have to remove your mask underwater or even have some inattentive diver kick off your mask you would not be able to open your eyes without loosing contacts either. Overall perscription mask have given me a greater reason to want to leave my mask on all the way to the point of exit just so I could see and thus not worry of loosing my mask on my head. (Disclaimer:Which we know we are not supposed to do but this is just my disclaimer :no: )

All in all I would continue from here on myself with a perscription mask as it has opened up a whole new world of diving for me :)

I wear contacts daily, so it's more natural for me there, and the sunglasses are rather important for me on the surface.
If you squint under water your contacts will stay in, and I've done that before. We do cold water treatments every time we get in the water, so you get used to it like anything I guess. Unfortunately with the Rx masks it's a personal preference over contacts, and with our students we recommend getting one if they wear glasses most days, and just diving with contacts if they wear contacts usually

I wear glasses on a daily basis, but switch to contacts when diving. I've often thought about getting a prescription mask, but am concerned that it will become obsolete if my prescription changes to drastically or too often.

tstocum: Uh-huh. Your prescription will change after a couple years but $60 every two years? Come on now. A carton of cigs cost more than that.

I have a prescription bifocal mask and one mask with see-unders (prescription for far viewing on top and regular glass on the bottom for viewing gauges. I like them both. I used to use contacts but would need monocular vision to read the gauges. Gave up contacts entirely now because of the need for bifocals. I have had both prescription masks for several years and prescription changes have not been an issue at all.

Back
Top Bottom