Prescription mask for narrow face

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a some mentioned previously, fit is the most important function of a mask. Many dual lens masks can accomodate a prescription of some sort. Manufacturers don't develop an assortment of various diopters for all masks. Having said that, the XVision by Mares has been very popular due to fit and function. To address narrower and smaller faces, we have developed the XVision Mid. This uses the same popular frame yet has a smaller skirt. Both of these masks use the same frame which allows us to utilize the same lens for both masks. This mask comes with an assortment of corrected lenses in .5 diopter increments, ranging from -1.5 to -7.5 and +1.5 to +3.0. Note the positive lenses are only corrected in the lower apprx 1/3 of the lens.

Once again the mask that fits best is always going to be the better choice. Happy mask hunting.

Most 2 lens masks can be fitted with a prescription. There are a few optical lens companies that make custom lenses. A decent LDS should have access to them.

You'll want a 2 lens mask, as single lens masks look really weird with prescription inserts, and the way they get chopped up you lose any advantage anyway. Just find a nice two lens mask that fits well. The Tusa Liberator is a common choice, and it fits my fairly narrow face quite well. It's also one of the most common choices for putting in prescription lenses, so pretty much any prescription mask place can drop in the lenses for you. Note that Tilos makes the "OptiClear" mask which is nearly identical to the Tilos and can use the same lenses... and it costs about $20 less. The black mask I'm wearing in my avatar is the Tilos OptiClear, using prescription lenses I stole from my older Tusa whose skirt was accidentally torn after 10 years of service.

If you get a mask that has standard prescription drop-in lenses available, you can buy the mask and the lenses and you're set. Otherwise, you can send nearly any mask to www.prescriptiondivemasks.com and they'll put your prescription into it, although as you might guess the custom route costs more.

Hi,

We have an all black mask in stock that sounds like it may be perfect for you.

It is made from Scubapro, it's called a fino. It is a low volume, two lens mask that would be perfect to put your prescriptions into. Check your LDS to try one on.

Seadive also makes many different low volume all black masks that we can order with Rx lenses in them. It's less expensive than custom prescription lenses.

Please let me know if you need any assistance.

Tina
Scuba Sciences, Inc.

Thanks for all the help! I went to the local dive shop and rooted through their entire supply of masks. Although they didn't have a couple of the ones I did want to try on, they allowed me to give 'em a go in the pool, which was outstanding! I ended up with the Aqualung Quartz 2. The thing almost wanted to grab onto my face and not let go; I really like the way the skirt fit. I tried several other masks, and there were surprisingly some others that fit well too. However, there were a great amount that even without testing in a pool I knew wouldn't cut it. Great advise!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom