Prescription mask for narrow face

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jquest1

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase my first scuba mask. I know how to fit them, but I need some help deciding where to start (there's so many different masks). I need a mask that can have prescription lenses and fits a (male) very narrow face well. A previous thread mentioned Atomics, but I'ld like to have a few more names in my head before I go bumbling through the local dive shop. Thanks for the assistance!

Just go bumbling since nothing beats sticking it on your face. What they have is what you'll get to try. No fit, find another shop. Prescription overlays can be bonded inside just about everythng.

how do overlays differ from prescription lenses? Did I just embarrass myself by asking the obvious?

edit: I probably should have added that I would prefer a black skirt.

Some masks ofer pop-in lenses that are stocked in assorted diopters. A well stocked shop can prepare them on the spot from a simple single focal script.

If you need bifocals or astigmatism correction then overlays are usually done. These are ground lenses that are bonded inside the mask. I had a set and they worked out great for correction. Overlays also allow you to correct nearly any mask, even to a simple script.

If you search the mask frum you can find lots of archived discussions including the use of contact lenses for diving.

Pete

Sea Vision USA has a pretty good reputation for fitting different shaped faces with prescription lenses.

the K

Your best bet is to forget about your prescription at first and concentrate on finding a good fitting mask. Once you do, Prescription Dvie Mask can put almost any prescription in any mask. They can also answer most any dive mask prescription question you may have.
http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/

I use a prescription mask and I have a narrow face.

None of the really low volume masks that I've ever seen fit and fortunately most of the more expensive name brands don't have much that fits me either.

I think both my masks are H2odyssey that I got when I still owned a shop and they probably only cost me about $15 or so each.

My masks are both single window masks so they have bonded in presreiption lenses. The two window masks can usually take replacement lenses. The nice thing about that is that if the maker has made lenzes for that model mask before, you might not have to send them your mask. They just grind the lenses and send them to you for you to install.

Depending on where you are, your LDSs may not have much of a selection to go bumbling through! :wink: (I'm in Vancouver, hit about half a dozen shops and tried on no more than 8 prescription masks. Only two fit me.)

I found luck with the Tusa Splendive II mask. As I have a straightforward prescription -- distance only -- I went with the drop-in lenses. Works great!

Back
Top Bottom