Prescription mask and digital view finders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
With a new camera and new glasses on the way, I have a question for all you seasoned photographers who wear reading glasses. For the last few years I have been getting away with stick in gauge readers in my mask but I am being forced to change. Most of my photographic work up to this point was macro with a framer so I really did not have to use the viewfinder much but now that I have the C-5050 I am forced to look at the view screen. So the dilemma, what style of prescription mask lens do you use. Bifocals, at least the traditional style with the lens in the lower part of the mask are not acceptable to me, I find I have to tilt my head back to far to be comfortable. I am considering the half lens style or maybe having the bifocal lens placed about mid lens but neither seem to be a good compromise. I know someone has had to deal with this, anyone have a suggestion?

herman how about a different approach.
Have you considered a contact lens of the disposable type. Perhaps only in one eye for the close-up vision.
I wear contacts in both eyes and use the mono vision technique, a close-up lens in my left eye and a distant vision lens in my right eye.
I have been diving with them for years with no problems.
Perhaps this may be easier/better that an Rx mask?
Just a thought.

I use a RX mask with bifocals and I started carrying my rig closer and a little lower to keep from having to tilt my head back so far. I don't like the viewfinder, I've tried several time to get used to it but nothing looks 'real' in it.

Jester has one of those Big Eye masks and he recently moved his stick-on readers to the center on the inside for the same reason. I tried it and it was lots better. I've also seen a photographer who put the readers on the top edge of his mask, said it felt more natural to him. That may be worth at try.

Contacts are not an option, wished they were. The readers on the top I had not considered and I don't know why not, I use to have a pair of sunglasses that I had put readers in the top of so I could read the overhead instruments in my boat. That may be the answer but if it works I will most likely try to get a custom mask anyway, I don't really like the stick-ons. This getting old crap stinks....guess it's still better than the alternative...

Yep...gettin' old ain't for Sissies!

08.gif

It ain't all that bad.

Back
Top Bottom