Prepping for Kona & Oahu May 7-12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are going on our honeymoon April 14
Three nights Oahu, three nights Big Island, five nights Maui and three nights Kauai. We will be diving Oahu, Kona and Maui. Our dive operator for Kona is Bottom Time Hawaii. They had recommended we go to the Volcanoes first before diving if we could. We are flying into Hilo which is closer to the Volcanoes and the current lava flow. Renting a car through Dollar rental cars in Hilo and driving to the volcanoes and then to our hotel in Kona. Dollar is letting us return our car to Kona with a added charge of $50 since we are not returning it to the same pickup location. We are diving the manta ray dive the next afternoon and evening. I did look at diving first before going to Volcanoes National Park. I wanted to be sure we got to the volcanoes so I chose to go there first. I have never done the manta dive and I am looking forward to it and hopefully seeing some mantas.

One more day till we are married and then the start of our honeymoon!

Johnny

We did the manta night dive with Jack's. It was excellent! One of the best dives ever. The twilight dive prior was also outstanding.

Our favorite place to stay in Kona is the Keauhou Beach Resort, been several times. Right next door to a very good beach (few of them on the volcanic island) with great snorkeling. The hotel has a neat lounge area that juts out over the water. You can watch the basking turtles and all the fishies below while you eat free popcorn and watch free Hawaiian entertainment. Someone on Trip Advisor said it needs renovation...last time we were there was 2002 I think, so that may be correct, not sure. But it was fairly inexpensive and had a great breakfast buffet that we got for free.

I agree with the person who asked why in the world you were driving back and forth to Hilo. Not much over there. Stay Kona side mo' betta.

The volcano area is interesting, but may be ruled out as others have said.

Enjoy.

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your advice! Extremely helpful!!!

So about all the flying... We're flying into OAHU-HNL and back after TBI because my boyfriend has a conference to attend and I'm flying back to the mainland from HNL while he works. We didn't think about island hopping until after we made the original flight. I think we'll take your advice and stay on the east and south end of TBI :) At least we won't have to worry about losing too much time trying to get to HILO side.

.....I agree with the person who asked why in the world you were driving back and forth to Hilo. Not much over there. Stay Kona side mo' betta.

Hey!!!! I've lived in Hilo most of my life and beg to differ!!! :D

But seriously, West Hawaii (Kona side) is more tourist-oriented, the weather is great, the ocean is usually calm, and West Hawaii has some of the best diving in the state (in the world). I think you'll really enjoy your diving while in Kona.

When you only have a few days on the Big Island, stay in West Hawaii and if possible try to squeeze in a trip to the volcano.

East Hawaii (Hilo side) is wetter, greener, has a beautiful coastline with waterfalls, but all that green is because we are exposed to the tradewinds, so the ocean is almost always rougher on the Hilo side.

Enjoy your trip!

Hey!!!! I've lived in Hilo most of my life and beg to differ!!! :D

But seriously, West Hawaii (Kona side) is more tourist-oriented, the weather is great, the ocean is usually calm, and West Hawaii has some of the best diving in the state (in the world). I think you'll really enjoy your diving while in Kona.

When you only have a few days on the Big Island, stay in West Hawaii and if possible try to squeeze in a trip to the volcano.

East Hawaii (Hilo side) is wetter, greener, has a beautiful coastline with waterfalls, but all that green is because we are exposed to the tradewinds, so the ocean is almost always rougher on the Hilo side.

Enjoy your trip!

No offense intended!!! I just meant as far as diving....

Back
Top Bottom