Prepping D7000 for Truk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use both the 10-17 and the 12-24. In spite of what the number look like, the 10-17 is MUCH wider. It's a fisheye. The other is a rectilinear lens.

I shoot wrecks here in the Great Lakes, and the 10-17 is VASTLY superior for that. It's also a pretty nice fish lens as long as you can get close.... like as in damn near bumping the beast in the head.

I haven't used the 10-17 in a tropical environment, but I think it will be great for scenics, but it won't be great for anything else, unless the subject is big. I 7' reef shark swimming past at a 10 foot distance is going to be less than impressive. The 12-24 is a pretty versatile lens and very good on a reef.

For Truk though, assuming you are after pics of big boats, I think the 10-17 is a way better lens. And I agree, take the 60 as well. It's pretty much my favorite lens for anything smallish...

Depending on how often you travel & the importance of your photos, I'd suggest that you also purchase spare parts for housing & anything electronic - complete housing rebuild kit (ALL o-rings), o-rings & multiple sets of batteries for strobes, extra chargers, sync cords (even fiber optic cables), extra camera batteries, etc. Ext HD for computer backup. If you can swing it, extra strobe (you should be using 2) & extra camera body. I know this can get pricey but you're prepared for unscheduled events. The nice thing about 2 cameras is while 1 is in housing the other is ready for topside shots, & as a backup if needed.

Depending on how often you travel & the importance of your photos, I'd suggest that you also purchase spare parts for housing & anything electronic - complete housing rebuild kit (ALL o-rings), o-rings & multiple sets of batteries for strobes, extra chargers, sync cords (even fiber optic cables), extra camera batteries, etc. Ext HD for computer backup. If you can swing it, extra strobe (you should be using 2) & extra camera body. I know this can get pricey but you're prepared for unscheduled events. The nice thing about 2 cameras is while 1 is in housing the other is ready for topside shots, & as a backup if needed.

Unfortunately there is about a ZERO percent chance that I'll be able to swing a backup camera body. I get why this makes sense and will absolutely be taking spare batteries and o-rings but since I'll already be well into the 6k range for the housing strobes and new lense i don't think the wife's gonna go for a spare camera (choosing my battles on this one). I'll offloading everything to an iPad for off camera backup and am taking a few spare SD cards as well. At this point I'm just going to have to spend some time locally getting comfortable with everything and then be extra super careful prepping for each dive. I'll definitely embrace the recommendations I've seen on several other threads for embracing a checklist every time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom