Prepping D7000 for Truk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

E-diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Howdy folks,

So I'd say I'm an aspiring amateur photographer spent a lot of time with my D200 and most recently with it's D7000 replacement on land. One of the driving reasons for my upgrade was a planned trip to Truk next year. Ive always promised myself that when I finally bit the bullet and got my butt to Truk that I'd finally pick up the housing I've always wanted. So obviously I'm not waiting until the trip to get everything dialed in but there is the issue of wanting to spend my cash wisely since I most likely won't have the budget to outfit all the lens and port options I might like. The only lenses I'm currently carrying that "might" be a fit for underwater shots are the Nikor 12-24 and 35mm F1.8. From the reviews I've read I'm not sure either of these is really a great fit and am currently stalking the Tokina 10-17 FE with the 4.3" mini-dome and 1-2 (most likely 2) of the Inon Z-240 strobes. If I can swing it I'll also aim for a 60mm macro with flat port but am not sure that will happen.

Does this seem like a decent start? If it was you would you consider leveraging the 12-24 in lieu of the Tokina so you could get the 60mm or are the benefits of the fisheye lens strong enough to keep it at the top of the must have list?

-E

E-Diver, the best guy I know with a D7000 is Jim Calvin. Call him at 352-787-0760. He can steer you in the right direction. You can see alot of his pictures here... Ocean Photos - Underwater Adventures Ultimate Cave Diving

Most of these photos were shot with a D7000. Some were shot with a D50. I think you can probably tell which is which.

I think your best bet for a travel friendly, wide angle set up to shoot Truk would be the Tokina 10-17 + zoom gear + Zen Mini Dome + 2 X Inon Z240's. That will cost a lot as it is.

All other wide + mid-range lenses will require a large dome for good IQ . However, if this doesn't bother you, consider the Sigma 17-70 (for sharks and fish) and the Sigma 8-16 to keep the wreck lines straight, rather than bowed like the fisheye. Both will require a large dome + the appropriate extension rings and zoom gears as well.

I don't see the point of bringing the 60mm macro to a wreck dive destination. I don't think you will use it, unless you just get tired of the wrecks.

Thanks Magrone, my thoughts exactly. I'll definitely focus on the 10-17 setup and strobes first. The macro is just a nice to have for this particular trip, but I agree that it most likely wouldn't get much use. I was originally hoping to get by with a single strobe, but the more I think about it, the more I convince myself that two is a requirement.

-E

I haven't been to Truk since 1988, but back then, there was the most incredible soft corals and clown fish! I would say that my macro shots from Truk are better than my wreck shots, but maybe that's because I only had one flash unit at the time and a Nikonos V with a 20mm lens for the wide shots. On a night dive on the Fuji, we never moved more than about 15 feet from the mooring line and spent our whole dive shooting soft corals and spawning oysters. On another dive on the kingposts of the Sankisan (I think), there were beautiful anemones and soft corals covering almost the entire surface of the cross beam. Don't count out your macro possibilities :)

Here's a couple from Truk:

tf1-16.jpgts1-30.jpg

You will have a great time in Truk/Chuuk! The above is all correct and you are on the right track. In Chuuk I shot the D200/Aquatica/8" dome and the Tokina 10-17mm, 2xSubtronic Nova (I have replaced them with the Sea&Sea 250 equivalent) Trip report, Gallery, (mediocre, MultiMedia slide show) at our site: Aquablue Dreams You may want to consider adding the Kenko 1.4 teleconverter to your Tokina 10-17mm. Other popular lenses for the D7000 include the Nikon 60mm a must have. The Sigma 17-70HSM for "don't know what you will see" dives. When you can and if you like macro many end up with the Nikon 105mm. But there are other excellent lenses out there with their fans.

There really are some incredible "macro" opportunities in Truk/Chuuk as the wrecks really have become living reefs.

Thanks Guys, and great pics ASA400. I have no doubt that there will be many macro opportunities while we're there. My concern is that with the price of housing, strobes, lens and associated ports, possibly a viewfinder (not sure if this is a requirement though). I may be forced to chose between either the 60mm/flat port, or tokina 10-17 and mini-dome for the trip. Unless the topside nikon 12-24 if have would be an acceptable replacement for the 10-17, and then I could probably swing a macro and ports for each. Thoughts?

I would stick with the 10-17 over the 12-24.
I would go without the viewfinder for now.
With the money saved get a flat port and maybe a used 60mm.
OR
Add the 1.4 Kenko and shoot WAMacro

Truk is about BIG and the 10-17mm is the lens IMHO

I think the 12-24mm would perform well for the wreck photography, but I would definitely take a 10-17mm FE as well. That lens is extremely versatile. Here's a great site with a lot of helpful information.... Best Lenses for Underwater Photography | Underwater Photography Guide

Have a great trip!
Zig

Good stuff folks, SeaInFocus great link...thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom