Question Tokina atx-m 11-18mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craine

Just some guy who likes being underwater
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any other APS-C users here have a chance to test out the newer Tokina atx-m 11-18mm f/2.8? I'm looking for a wider angle lens than my current options (Sony FE 28-70/3.5-5.6 and Sony FE 24-105/4G). I'm using a Salted Line 6xxx with the 6" dome port, so bonus points if you're also running that and have used this lens.

I've previously rented/tested the Tamron 11-20/2.8, but found that the corners were really soft underwater, even when stopped down. That's most likely because of the positioning of the optics, and the fact that the Salted Line housing can't be fine tuned with extensions (unless someone has a line on 3rd party or 3D print options).

I know others have adapted the Tokina 10-17, but I would prefer to stay away from adapted lenses (because I'm stubborn I guess).

With this housing and port, your best bet is a Sony 10-18mm f/4. Any rectilinear wide-angle lens will give you soft corners; a larger dome will help a bit, but not a lot. I've done some comparative testing in a pool a few years ago, you can see the results here: Port tests

Hello, I have used the tokina 11-18mm f2.8 on the Sony a6500 with the seafrog salted line with dome port. I like it a lot. It is a great wide angle lens but it is definitely soft on the edges. It does not bother me to much, but is noticeable. If you want to see video with it here is a link to my first dive with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom