preparing for indonesian culture?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never ever lost your temper for any reason especially in public place. It will only make the situation worst.
Be patience. I first learnt the meaning of "rubber time" in Indonesian eg bus: it will arrive when it arrives.
I love "Padang food" especially serving "hidang" style, not everyone favourite way.
We were on a one day car tour around Manado and the guide took us to a small eating place up in the mountain. Various dishes were laid in front of us and so we asked what they were. Among all the dishes there were TWO distinct one, dog and bat.

our time on land will be in Sorong, but the bulk of the time will be diving in the nearby islands.

"So wrong" is pretty interesting city. They have quite ingenious waste management system.

IMG_1470.JPG

They don't use toilet paper either. They use water instead, which is good, save our trees. Right hand is for pouring the water, left hand is for wiping. So, handing things to another person with left hand is considered impolite.

So, when tourists are out & about, how likely are they to encounter restrooms without toilet paper? Would it be wise to stuff a couple of rolls in a back pack?

I'm guessing the live-aboards, drawing an international clientele, have it?

Richard

So, when tourists are out & about, how likely are they to encounter restrooms without toilet paper? Would it be wise to stuff a couple of rolls in a back pack?

I'm guessing the live-aboards, drawing an international clientele, have it?

Richard

In the city you will have no problem finding restaurants with western-style toilet with toilet paper, Some of them have even hoses with spray nozzles to clean up your mess & as backup if you are running out of toilet paper in the middle of doing your business. :)

If you want to go to villages, then bringing toilet paper with you would be wise. Practice to do #2 while squatting, as their toilet is just like a hole on the ground with a small water filled tub & a mug to bail water.

All of the liveaboard I've been in have western-style toilet with toilet paper. However, you don't put the toilet paper waste into the toilet bowl. They provide a small basket next to the toilet to throw the soiled toilet paper into. The toilet bowl is only for stuff that are coming out of your body.

Last edited:
However, you don't put the toilet paper waste into the toilet bowl. They provide a small basket next to the toilet to throw the soiled toilet paper into. The toilet bowl is only for stuff that are coming out of your body.

Thanks. I do that with toilet paper on live-aboards anyway (& I've never been to that part of the world). From what I've seen 'marine heads' tend to have weak flushing power and be clog prone. How many dive boat briefings have I heard imploring divers not to clog them?

Richard.

You will find the basket for "soiled" toilet paper all over SE Asia eg. Manila International Airport.
For some reasons readily disintegrated toilet paper is hard to find in this part of the world.
Use the bidet if it is equipped!!!

Oh my favorite street food is Martabak and Terang Bulan... another important word for me is sedikit.. which means little. Great when asking for smaller portions of food. Satu lagi is one more!! Very important for eating dessert!!! Just be polite and respectful. If you are a girl then cover your shoulders and wear longer shorts if you have them. If you don't it isn't the end of the world.

Richard

After nine years in Indonesia, I am pretty grossed out by restrooms without a hose, bidet, or water. Only paper? Yuck. Anyway... yes, bring...if you are out of cities and/or tourists areas, bring some sort of tissue with you.

Two items of more important note. (These are general and of course do not apply to everyone):

1. Indonesians find harmony and happiness very important and consequently HATE having to tell a customer/guest no even when they know they cannot get it done. I was told that Indonesians have more have ten different phrases that sound like yes but really mean no. I just watched a young woman on my last live-aboard ask one of the crew if it was OK to climb to the top of the main mast. He said no, but she asked him again and again until he shrugged and said up to you. When the boat director saw what was up he was pissed and the crew member lost some face. Be kind and don't push. As always, if you don't understand a "no" and there is a language barrier find someone who can help clarify things.

2. The concept of losing face is huge- more so than most of us understand. If you have an issue with a dive guide, crew member, etc... do not get confrontational in front of other people. Get a private moment and calmly talk to them one on one. If there is a language barrier, talk with the manager/boss privately and he/she will get it resolved.

Well I am lost when it comes to Indo food. I hate the stuff, basically. What I have found is mostly that it is tremendously spicy -- with peppers only. Take the peppers out and there's no flavor. That, to me, is bad cooking.

Maybe I stared off on the wrong foot or something. I admit that I am conservative when it comes to food -- guilty as charged. Still, there is a wide variety of food that I like: Pilipino food, Chinese is OK, Indian when it's not too spicy, and most all the Western palates except some of the weird French stuff*. Not a seafood lover. Not a fish eater much.

We went to one of the "best" Indo food places in Ubud (people come from al over the planet) and to me it was boring. Baked tofu, yeech. I find that when I am traveling off-island in Indo, I end up eating the stuff I never eat at home: pizza, fried anything, McDonald's -- NEVER eat that at home.

There are good restaurants in Ubud, I usually end up with a western-type dish.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Bill

(* just added that for you, Luko. :outtahere:)

Back
Top Bottom