preparing for indonesian culture?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afex

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i'm looking for recommendations on how to prepare for, and harmonize with, any expected cultural norms and practices.

i'm hoping to make friends with dive staff, but having never experienced their region before i would love to hear your stories of the type of scuba guides, boat captains, and others i may meet while diving in indonesia.

Indo in general tends to err more on the conservative side of things. In the dive resorts obviously they know people may be walking around half dressed, but covering up a bit (just shorts and t-shirt usually suffices) at meal times, and in public will go a long way.

Depending on where you go in Indonesia (it is a large and very culturally diverse country), there may be other expectations. Where specifically are you heading?

our time on land will be in Sorong, but the bulk of the time will be diving in the nearby islands.

Oh, Raja Ampat is fun :)

Sorong is pretty relaxed and my only real word of advice is not to mix up Papua (the Indonesian province), and Papua New Guinea (the country). Same island, different countries. I have seen visitors make this mistake unintentionally on both sides of the border, and it can cause offense.

The guides and boat crews tend to be friendly and chill. Not always very talkative though, so don't take offense if they aren't very chatty. They can be quite shy sometimes due to the language barrier. Learning a few simple words in Bahasa is always good (salam, silakan, terima kasih, etc.).

Ummm...I don't know what else to say. I guess I can answer specific questions, but not sure how to give such a broad reply to your request.

i'm looking for recommendations on how to prepare for, and harmonize with, any expected cultural norms and practices.

i'm hoping to make friends with dive staff, but having never experienced their region before i would love to hear your stories of the type of scuba guides, boat captains, and others i may meet while diving in indonesia.

For sake of comparison--to get an idea of what you have in mind--for what regions and how did you "prepare for and harmonize with their cultural norms and practices" on previous travels? I mean, dive guides in Indonesia generally speak English and are accustomed to Western clients. Boat captains, generally less fluent in English. Like anywhere else in the world, if you know how to say something like "thank you" in their language they will get a kick out of it. I find that asking about their family is often appreciated, as family, children, etc., are important in that part of the world. They generally ask about ours and seem to pity my wife and me when we reply that we have no children--it's not "normal" to them. We have actually considered making up fake children to smooth the conversations.

@WetPup had it right, learn some of the language, it goes a long way. Most of the crew love music and chess. If you like either, join in and play or sing along. They also like to play cards, bring some playing cards with you. I often see them playing poker with clothes pins, it's pretty funny to see them clipped all over the losers ears, nose and lips. Most have a really good sense of humor, but can take things literally so watch out, I find the cheesy stuff makes them laugh.

Have a great time.

May I suggest to go much further than most of us do and learn all their names? Even the ones that you may see but don't usually interact with. I had a LOT of fun with them once I started talking with them (in English).

- Bill

Be prepared that it is normal for people here to ask personal questions. Are you married, if not, why not, religion (no way you do not have one), married but no children??? Something not functioning. What? Did you really mean you do not want to have children?
Some questions can be a little bit weird to them. E.g: Did you sleep well? What will the weather be today?
The great book of Elizabeth Pisani, Indonesia Etc., explains it all and more.

Try to hand things to the local with right hand. Left hand is considered dirty, as they use it for cleaning their behinds. They don't use toilet paper either. They use water instead, which is good, save our trees. Right hand is for pouring the water, left hand is for wiping. So, handing things to another person with left hand is considered impolite.

I plan on spending a good deal more time on land than diving on my next Indonesian trip. I found this this used book on Amazon, and it's been a fascinating introduction to Indonesian culture. Not so applicable in a diving situation, but if you want a bit more about the culture, I recommend this.

book.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom