Preparing for fundamentals / intro to tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nobody said anything to the contrary. It's just that the gue fanboys think gue is the be all and all... which it is not... they do good marketing and a LOT of it. The gue fanboys are like the Tesla and Apple fanboys. They also repeat the marketing stuff over and over again...
Who has said it’s the end all be all?

The only thing that’s been said is that it’s a good method. To which your retort seems to be that no method is required.

We disagree.

Diving is more dangerous than driving, esp cave and technical diving. Much higher rate per hour/attempt.

The only thing that’s been said is that it’s a good method. To which your retort seems to be that no method is required.
I said a person can train and practice to close their valves without taking a class. I never said 'no method is required'.

Diving is more dangerous than driving, esp cave and technical diving. Much higher rate per hour/attempt.
I said difficult not dangerous.

I said a person can train and practice to close their valves without taking a class. I never said 'no method is required'.

I said difficult not dangerous.
Seems really easy in comparison evidenced by the whole less people dying per attempt but ok.

Seems really easy in comparison evidenced by the whole less people dying per attempt but ok.
There are air bags and seat belts and stuff. There is a lot that's protecting ****** drivers these days.
I think a lot of people think these classes are difficult because you get a lot of middle aged desk jockies that start diving. If you don't cut corners and don't rush into places you should be in, it's pretty hard to get yourself into trouble on normal dives.
Eitherway, nobody knows how many attempts and non-medical related accidents there are in diving. You know that.

I'm trying doubles with the same instructor. So that should eliminate the risk you mention.
As for my diving, well, I don't see the point of diving doubles just for the sake of it. When diving recreationally, I guess I will continue to dive a regular 12l single cylinder. I don't see why I should bother lugging around a double 12 for that purpose. However, when moving into tec properly and then when doing tec dives, yes, I will be diving doubles (assuming I like it and decide to go down that path; if I don't I'll try sidemount). The way I see it, the tanks just as any other equipment are a tool for the job. I see no point in doing a 30m leasurely no deco dive in doubles. Unless for training purposes I guess.
Perhaps wait and see how you fare with your tech classes before you dismiss diving doubles for no deco / 'easy' dives.

I find properly trimmed-out doubles to be a pleasure to dive, and knowing that you have a good level of redundancy (assuming you're diving manifolded twins) is a nice little extra comfort factor. If I was on a dive trip that was limited to NDL and <60 minute dives I would still dive doubles if that was an option.

What I answered to is the claim that the OP should try to practice anything before they do a class because they would be building bad habits... which I think is laughable... but a standard gue talking point.
Stop giving out “advice”. To get the tech pass you must perform a standard valve drill properly within a very tight buoyancy window and also not lose team awareness. If you can’t perform it to standard because you did it wrong 500 times after some dude on the internet said it doesn’t matter then you don’t get a tech pass. It matters a lot if you intend to proceed to t1 or c1.

To get the tech pass you must perform a standard valve drill properly within a very tight buoyancy window and also not lose team awareness.
I reckon you're one of the people who found it really really hard to learn this.

“I watched a YouTube video, I got it down!”
I never said that either 🙄.

You've really got nothing other than repeat the same marketing pitch you've been told by your pastor over and over again and twist words.
Doubles classes are as laughable as telling people it's difficult to do a skill in a 'tight bouyancy window'... something some kids are better at than many middle-aged 'tec' divers.

I never said that either 🙄.

You've really got nothing other than repeat the same marketing pitch you've been told by your pastor over and over again and twist words.
Doubles classes are as laughable as telling people it's difficult to do a skill in a 'tight bouyancy window'... something some kids are better at than many middle-aged 'tec' divers.
All you have to do is actually go diving and watch what goes on around you.

People literally cannot do these things. To include some cave and tech divers. It’s not really debatable. It’s objectively true.

Go hang out at peacock springs on a busy weekend. Woof.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom