Prejudice against solo divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have in fla also. It seems that in the keys where no DM is in the water if the op khows that you know what you are doing there is no problem. Took 1 1/2 dives for the op I was with to be ok with me doing my own thing on the reef. Dove with buddies on the grove and duane but they were experienced and very competent. Best insta buddies I could have asked for.

Hemlon:
In the unfortunate event that I ever take a DCS hit, I really don't want my non-diving friends to be standing there with pointed fingers.

Just remind them in front of everybody about the time they caught that STD :wink:
Screw 'em ~~ If they mind they don't matter and if they matter they don't mind.

Hemlon:
I could try telling non-divers that solo divers are actually MORE safe when solo but most of them have their minds set firmly.

And you even talk to them because ???? :huh:

fire_diver:
I have no problem with a "their cave their rules" scenario. What I REALLY object to are the public beaches that will fine you for solo diving. Those types of places will only increase. All it takes is for one mayor, or city manager to see that another city has done it.

FD
If they make a fuss, just tell them your buddy is missing - once they've paid for a few futile search and rescues they might rethink :D

BarryNL:
If they make a fuss, just tell them your buddy is missing - once they've paid for a few futile search and rescues they might rethink
I had to think about this only a second - an obvious answer, instructive as well as vindictive!

About once a month I get lectured on the beach or even inside our condo's beach walls by well meaning but what I can only describe as "stern" lecturers. They're mostly older folks, and quite adamant about instructing me.

I don't want to harsh that solo post-dive mellow so I just lie and tell them I'm certified for it. Surprisingly, this quiets only about 25%. Many of the remaining 75% get even hotter!

To deal with the hard-core, I've learned NOT to try logic - you must recognize that they're actually ANGRY. After my little lie, I ignore them completely, which isn't difficult from the place my mind is in.

Why are they ANGRY? I have a theory that most of them grew up in front of Sea Hunt on TV and have a macho image of our sport/recreation. It hurts their ego to think diving isn't an extreme sport, either because they've never mustered the courage to overcome their fear and take the plunge themselves or because they have a macho image of themselves as having accomplished some proficiency. Women, children, solo divers and actually anybody who has a different opinion challenges this.

Yes, I remember Phych-101 like it was just yesterday... lol

I've never had anger, but the concern and disbelief that I get has always been from older people. Other divers and younger people don't care. I agree that it must be from the older days when people were brainwashed into thinking diving was dangerous and everything in the ocean was out to kill you. To dive you had to be incredibly fit and fearless. At least they hoped that line would work with the ladies.

I get the occasional, "You've got to be *kidding*, you do *what*?!?" from some people, but it seems the people from whom I get the "You can't do that, or you'll be stupid and *die*!" are the old divers-no-longer. The current divers (and divers-again) I know tend to find it curious that I'd solo, but they know me too well to think I'd do something patently stupid.

I am one of the "old divers". I have been diving solo since the 1950's so you won't get any flack from me.

"About once a month I get lectured on the beach or even inside our condo's beach walls by well meaning but what I can only describe as "stern" lecturers. They're mostly older folks, and quite adamant about instructing me."

Who exactly is lecturing you? Last time that happened to me and they asked where my buddy was I told them, oh, he is still out there waving nonchalantly, they went running off and I got in my car and drove off. People really need to mind their own buisness in what is supposed to be a free country.

Tell them, thank you for your concern but it is none of your buisness and turn and walk off. A can of Mace might work as well. I really hate it when do gooders mind my buisness. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom