Preferred Custom Wetsuit Manufacturer - Aquaflite or Wetwear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbrussell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have narrowed down the manufacturer choices for a custom 3 mm wetsuit, possibly a 7mm as wel,l to Aquaflite or Wetwear. I am a big guy, have all the required measurements done by my tailor, so now all I need to do is pick which manufacturer to build my wetsuit. I would be interested in any thoughts/comments good or bad regarding either manufacturer. From my web research both seem to make quality suits. Which one should I go with?
Thanks

I'm a big guy, too, and love my Aquaflite 7mm FJ semidry. It's kept me warm in NorCal waters.

I ordered it on a Monday and it was on my doorstep on Friday that same week.

I am fixing to order a Polartec from Wetwear. You just cannot find them anymore anywhere and I love the neutral buoyancy. Its a great wetsuit for warm water diving.

I ordered a suit from Wetwear about two years ago. The materials were good quality but the workmanship was poor. The suit was expensive and has not held up well at all. The fit was poor also. For what it cost, it should have been much better.

N

Pete (NetDoc) has one and I hear that it's held up very well .. don't know what happened to yours Nemrod , have you contacted Wetware about how your dissatisfied?

Yeah,

mine is now four years old, with at least 800 dives and still looks and works great. In fact, I am about to order their polartec as well.

Here is the best part: they bend over backwards with customer service. A friend of mine had a dry suit in there with a neoprene seal issue. They turned it around in about an hour. You will find them at almost every show and their knowledge is awesome. Connie and Gene are wonderful people and they excel at making an excellent products. They take a great deal of pride and energy in giving some of the best customer service I have ever seen. Will they make mistakes? Just like anyone else! Will they correct those mistakes? Quickly and professionally.

I ordered a suit from Wetwear about two years ago. The materials were good quality but the workmanship was poor. The suit was expensive and has not held up well at all. The fit was poor also. For what it cost, it should have been much better.
I ordered a 5mm top from Wet Wear several years ago. I can't speak to the quality of materials because the fit was so poor that I stopped using it after two dives.

Wow... how many fittings? When they sent me my suit the first time, they told me how they would have to make adjustments... I think they only made one. Their attention to detail is phenomenal... and no, they have never advertised here. They just are that good!

Fittings? They never offered to do any additional fittings or alterations. Not only that but I felt like I was getting the high-pressure treatment over the phone to add bells and whistles that I didn't need. It was an expensive mistake that I don't plan on repeating.

You must not have been listening. They do multiple fittings all the time and they constantly tell their clients to give them feedback. I know, because I have steered a number of people their way with absolutely no complaints and they tell me their stories. That's like going to a tailor, having a custom suit made and then assuming they are not going to adjust things after the initial cut. If I were you, I would contact them and get the fittings. The entire staff is quite helpful and ready to make sure you are happy with your purchase.

Of course, these suits are labor intensive. I have heard of people buying one and then wanting to return them. They will only fit YOU, but you have to go through the process. If you want a suit that fits you off the rack, then don't go for a custom suit. If you want a suit that will keep the cold water out, is incredibly easy to don and will last a LONG time, then WetWear is for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom