Predator air integration?

Wireless air integrated Predator.

• I'd give my ____ for an AI predator

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • No way, AI is over rated.

Votes: 21 72.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, history being what it was, we do now have a term for minimalist diving and that's 'Hogarthian'. I was simply pointing out through humor that what you stated is your opinion. Others share it, and others don't. My tech training said to reduce non-essential equipment. It also said that the most important tool I have is my brain. I think I clearly stated my thinking on AI above, no need to be a condescending fundamentalist.

Well, history being what it was, we do now have a term for minimalist diving and that's 'Hogarthian'. I was simply pointing out through humor that what you stated is your opinion. Others share it, and others don't. My tech training said to reduce non-essential equipment. It also said that the most important tool I have is my brain. I think I clearly stated my thinking on AI above, no need to be a condescending fundamentalist.
Take your "fixed that for ya" post in the context others see it in, then consider it in regard to your comments above that "Others share it, and others don't" and your odd suggestion that Jim was the one being condescending.

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that a technical diver who is suggesting AI on multiple tanks is a good thing, is probably in the minority with most of the rest just viewing it as an unnecessary amount of complexity that will lead to inevitable failures and will breed complacency in the diver.

I can see how fixed it for ya can sound condescending... I didn't intend it that way. It's a pretty common statement to make on the Internet and the wink smiley should have been a clue that it was intended to be good natured. I dont see how else being told to read a book can be taken other than "I am right, everyone else is wrong, educate yourself with this book" could be taken though. I'm going to start a thread and let people vote on if they use AI on tech dives, I think the thinking is changing.

Including nonessential features like AI or audible alarms or any of the other gadgetry popular with vacation divers would be such a departure from Shearwater's (so far) demonstrated philosophy I'd have to reconsider my commitment to the company in general.

Including nonessential features like AI or audible alarms or any of the other gadgetry popular with vacation divers would be such a departure from Shearwater's (so far) demonstrated philosophy I'd have to reconsider my commitment to the company in general.

Totally agree, but I don't see AI ever happening on a Predator.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bruce at TekWeek in Cayman a few years ago. Great guy and VERY smart. Shearwater philosophy is to give divers what they need and none of the stuff they don't.

If you want AI/Digital Compass/Heartrate Monitor/Audible Alarms / Proprietary Algorithms there are loads of computers to choose from.

If you want something that will just work, on a dive you can't even dream about, get a Predator.

I guess I should have realized the majority opinion on this board and their aversion to technology and and the lack of an open mind to anything other than what is written in a book. (read sarcasm mixed with truth)

Am I saying that AI (technology in general) is reason to not follow the rules? Is it an excuse to not know the charts and actually understand them? Is it a reason to not use your number one computer (your brain and training) and rely on primarily? Is it a reason to be utterly lost and not know what to do if your wireless pressure gauge fails?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Should you have a SPG ('s)? AND know how to use it? Personally, I think it's a good idea but, as we all know it's up to the end user.

Can your beloved mechanical piece of equipment, brass and glass SPG, regs ect.. fail? You better believe it. And if you don't think they will, well...

Adding something like AI to your computer shouldn't be looked at as adding complexity or "another failure point". It should be viewed as a backup or another level to your safety. Will there be people that rely on it solely? You bet there will be, and that is 100% their descision, not yours! Should that be the reason companies shouldn't make the product? Absolutely not. As a matter of fact computers in general, if you follow your own theories, shouldn't be used. Why? Well one more piece to fail right? What's wrong with a SPG, depth and simple bottom timer? According to the portrayed theories, that's all that is needed. Infact I can't believe most of you even use a dive computer. (read more sarcasm mixed with truth)

And really, a company's descision to add to the technology of their already technologically advanced (IMO) lineup of products is grounds to question your faith in that company and their products? I'm sorry to be the one to say it but grow up. The better question is why wouldn't a company grow with technology? It's obvious that in every other way they already have by looking at their products that have created such the faith and following and lust, by use of technology that many others aren't.

Where would our civilization be today if everyone agreed with the it ain't broke don't fix it type of thinking. Again, by that reasoning as it relates here, most of you should be taking your dive computers out and smashing them. (complexity and failure points)

I apologize for coming off like I hate you all, or you're stupid or what ever you may think of me now. but I'm sick of the closed minded, fear mongering, superior attitudes. I admit I'm not a frequent visitor of this particular board and when I do visit I'm usually just a lurker soaking in information. Give me neg rep points, lock the thread, delete the thread, ban me, whatever. Frankly I don't really care. I have found many, many people on this board that are awesome people. And again there are som many knowledgeable folks here as well it really makes it a great place for information. And the banter and ribbing keep it light and enjoyable for the most part. But I'm sick and tired of the same ol fear inducing negativity and demeaning superiority that is so frequent. Stuff fails!! It is inevitable!! A few people have a problem with something not working and it becomes an outright epidemic!!

Shearwater- I am terribly sorry for bringing this thread to your forum. Love the products and innovation and hope that someday you might consider bringing AI into your line up despite what some may want.

Ok. Take a breath. Realize the target audience the Shearwater brand is marketed to. As a tech diver I know my consumption rates. I know how long my gas will last. I know the difference between resting sac, working sac, and oh sh*t sac. I know the exact volume of gas I splash with. I can make a reasonable estimate how much gas will be in my bottles when i climb back on the boat. I don't need an AI interface.

Fear mongering is far from occurring on this post. It's a reality that AI is not something a majority of the customers purchasing Shearwater find value in. I've personally seen AI fail. I've also seen brass and glass fail. It happens. If you can't use the meat computer to know how much gas you've consumed and how much you have left then you shouldn't be doing dives supported by a Shearwater.

i don't think shearwater will. it is a tech computer, and most tech divers have no need, no want, no place for ai.

think about it - i go for a dive, not a pinnacle dive, but a 'slightly more than average' one. that would mean i have 4 tanks - 2 sm, 1 stage, 1 deco. isn't it way *way* easier for me to look at the spg on each tank than have an ai transmitter on each? isn't it cheaper, cleaner, less chance of me scraping it off on a rock, less chance of it not working at all when i get back to the bottle where i left it? because if ai is your *only* method of checking your gas and it fails - what am i gonna do 2000 feet back in a cave?? yes, i should have enough gas because i did my calculations, but the dive is over and i have to get out *now*. no poking around for fun because i'm sure i have tons of gas, because i'm no longer sure of this. and if you also have spg's, then no need for ai.

you may not feel this way. that's fine. maybe you dive manifolded doubles and no stage or deco gases. great! maybe you dive deep open water and your overheads are virtual. then you are someone that could choose ai and not have the issues many of us bring up. i don't get to tell you what you don't want just because *i* don't want it.

but you don't get to tell me what my issues are, and if you ask, you don't get to dismiss them.

Adding something like AI to your computer shouldn't be looked at as adding complexity or "another failure point". It should be viewed as a backup or another level to your safety. Will there be people that rely on it solely? You bet there will be, and that is 100% their descision, not yours! Should that be the reason companies shouldn't make the product? Absolutely not. As a matter of fact computers in general, if you follow your own theories, shouldn't be used. Why? Well one more piece to fail right? What's wrong with a SPG, depth and simple bottom timer? According to the portrayed theories, that's all that is needed. Infact I can't believe most of you even use a dive computer.

The failure point is the AI, not the computer. We dive with computers because they give us an advantage. We dive with SPG, depth gauges and simple bottom timers because they're simple tools that work if there's an issue with the computer. A computer on my wrist fails and poses no threat to my well being. A transmitter gets knocked off my first stage and I have an open high pressure port releasing gas - now I have an issue.

Think, breathe, then speak.

Back
Top Bottom