Predator air integration?

Wireless air integrated Predator.

• I'd give my ____ for an AI predator

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • No way, AI is over rated.

Votes: 21 72.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liftman

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious if there are any plans to set up the predator, or a whole new computer with wireless AI?

I hope not. Why add a point of failure?

Sent from my MB860 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Why break something that's not broke? If it's not broke, don't break it.

I have a predator but use an oceanic atom 2 with air integration as a bottom timer when diving. I like air integration..is just super easy to glance at my wrist, even easier than looking at my spg. Has anyone ever heard of an accident or incident caused by AI? I've looked and can't find one.

If it hasn't happened yet, it will. I used to think the chances of Tank O-rings failing (at the valve into the tank) were slim to none. Then last week two within two days failed.

I don't know if AI will ever bite you, but what I do know is that AI is unnecessary. It takes me less than 5 seconds to look at my SPG. I don't need to add complexity to that.

Doesn't matter. AI is another possible point of failure since you'd need a transmitter(s). Also it would just complicate things if using multiple gasses. I have a predator and it's simplicity and ease of use is why I got it. In tech diving the idea is to reduce complexity as much as possible given all the factors one needs to consider. Not to mention the price increase that would be necessary to cover the introduction of such an unnecessary feature. I can't see tech divers going for it and there are more than enough AI computers out there.

I like my predator without AI, and I like both my nuts right where they are.

Now...if we are instead talking about giving both of YOUR nuts to get AI on a predator, I might change my mind just to see how that plays out, but I suspect you won't want an AI predator either.

If Shearwater decides AI is a good idea on the Predator, I'll be extremely disappointed as it would reflect a major departure from their current design philosophy.

I have my AI on my right post and my spg on my left. The only problem this could cause me is if the transmitter leaked and then I just have to isolate and abort the dive. My spg could just as easily leak. Its a redundant spg. When I asked if anyone had heard of transmitter failures I was really asking about catastrophic failures like gas loss, not really about losing the ability to check your pressure, which shouldn't really be an emergency anyhow.

In [-]tech[/-] Hogarthian diving the idea is to reduce complexity as much as possible given all the factors one needs to consider.

Fixed that for ya :wink:

Last edited:
No it's not fixed. I meant technical diving. If I'd wanted to say Hogarthian I would have. Any tech dive, whether the divers follow Hogarthian principles or not, has enough factors to consider that simplifying whatever can be simplified is. Divers doing dives beyond recreational limits were making efforts to do this before the "Hogarthian" term was coined. I suggest taking a look at Gary Gentile's Technical Diving Handbook.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom