Pre Dive Procedures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I contacted PADI about theirs a few years ago because I thought it was missing a very important part, one that is quite easy to forget. They responded by telling me that they agreed with me and were working to change it, but it would take a while to get that change into the literature. I think they must have decided against it.

I don't see my concern listed in any of the other lists as well.

I want to add in some way whatever instruments you are using to measure your dive.

Whether it is a watch, bottom timer, or computer, if it is worn on the wrist over a wet suit or dry suit, it is often the last thing to go on and a very easy step to forget.

Some computers must be switched on manually before you enter the water, and once you are in the water without turning them on, they will not function.

Next, if it is a computer and you are using nitrox, it is very easy to forget to switch it to the appropriate mix.

My thoughts were in fact spurred by a DAN story about a nitrox diver who made a last minute decision to change his tank to air, and he forgot to change his computer. He got bent because he was following the nitrox ndl levels instead of the air levels.

GUEEDGE, head-to-toe, bubble check, and then I hand out a X1 loaners to my dive buddies... works like a charm.

Begin With Review And Friend------does PADI still use these words in getting the info out??....

This is how it is still presented in the open water manual. It really rolls of the tongue. Depending on the make-up of the class, this is where I break out the "Bruce Willis Ruins All Films" or "Big White Rabbits Are Fluffly".

I would never, ever use "Beer, Wine, Reefer Are Fun" because it isn't a proper sentence. :wink:

Or
Blond
Women
Realy
Are
Fun

Our instructor was gay------he never used those terms.........rotflmao......

Our instructor was gay------he never used those terms.........rotflmao......

That one is waaaay too easy.

Check for fins, tank, regs, mask and if they are all there jump in.

I want to add in some way whatever instruments you are using to measure your dive.

Whether it is a watch, bottom timer, or computer, if it is worn on the wrist over a wet suit or dry suit, it is often the last thing to go on and a very easy step to forget.

QUOTE]

Our PADI instructor pushed this point when we were doing our OW quite a bit. Don't know if others do so it was either very important to her or in their literature. She actually not only pushed the timer issue but a back up as well.

GUE EDGE plus head to toe. I always make sure people inflate their BCDs before jumping (easy way to check if their tank is open)

Our PADI instructor pushed this point when we were doing our OW quite a bit. Don't know if others do so it was either very important to her or in their literature. She actually not only pushed the timer issue but a back up as well.

No, it's not in the literature, but it should be. I push it with my students. What I do myself is take those items and hook them on my gear so that I won't forget them. Hopefully, this will make me remember to do any adjustments that need to be made a s well.

GUE EDGE (GUE Dive plan review)

G - Goals
U - Unified Team (Who is doing which tasks, )
E - Equipment (special equipment used, head to toe)
E - Exposure (depth and time plan)
D - Deco (the deco / ascent plan)
G - Gas (1/2s, 1/3, minimum gas, etc)
E - Environment (any special issues for environment)
^ this

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom