Practice Dive Plan tables ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was missing the point that there is a difference between the time one would be using with the tables and what one would log for time under water.

Don't think of it as what PADI says , think of it as how the DSAT RDP algorithm is designed and applied.
I am just going to expand on this.

The RDP has the purpose of keeping you from getting bent. It is designed so that your bottom time tells you when to ascend. Your total dive time (counting ascent ) is not important, because if you are not doing a direct ascent to the surface, then you should be counting that extra time as part of your bottom time. The log book was set up in such a way to help you make those calculations.

In modern diving, almost no one is using tables any more, and multi-level diving with computers is not only common, it is the norm. If you are doing a multi-level dive with computers, the old table-based bottom time rules make no sense. Let's say you go to 100 feet because you heard there were garden eels at that depth. You stayed for two minutes and then went to 60 feet for 20 minutes, when gradually and slowly worked your way up to 20 feet. You played around the top of the reef for half an hour. How are you going to log that bottom time? So, for logging dives today, most people are logging their total time under water, which is often called run time.

Summary--bottom time for using tables is one thing; dive time for logging is another.

Took the exam this past Saturday morning and aced both sections. It was a bit ridiculous how few questions on this and the science/physics of diving were on the exam. The NAUI Master Diver course/exam were much more thorough and intensive than the PADI Divemaster course/exam.

-Z

I kept all the examples we did in OW course way back when. From either the OW manual or the instruction book that came with the RDP. I did the same with the Nitrox course problems. I review one a day, alternating Air RDP and Nitrox one(s).
I would think you could practice just as well by simply making up dive profiles, as long as you know how the tables work.
I write up the table profile after each dive, whether I'm using my computer or not.
Are there questions both on the RDP tables and the eRDPml now? The latter was just new when I took the DM course. It was just before they re-vamped the course and the tests. I don't recall any questions making use of the RDP, but maybe I just forgot. Back then computers weren't the norm in OW course, so everyone (here anyway) learned the RDP. So I guess they figured you should know that without having to review for a DM course test. The eRDPml is a nice toy for practice and understanding, but really pretty useless--unless you know specifically how much time you're gunna spend at particular depths on a multi-level dive--and don't deviate at all from that plan. Following your computer is much easier.

I did my IDC this year, I found it MUCH easier to do in meters. When guiding/DM/teaching you will have customers that speak in meters and bars it good to familiar with them. That's my O2 cents.

Are there questions both on the RDP tables and the eRDPml now?

I can only speak to the exam I recently took. There were a couple of questions using the RDP and a couple of questions using the eRDPml. One question was multi dive scenario, one question was a single multi-level dive scenario, and a third question that was designed to ensure you actually used the eRDPml by basically asking how many rule alerts it gave you when inputting the dive profile from one of the previous questions.

Overall the entire exam was ridiculously easy and did not test much depth of knowledge at all, but then again, I am bit underwhelmed by the entire PADI divemaster curriculum, as it does not really require or instill much depth of knowledge either....while I am happy to have obtained a professional level credential that will make it easier for me to either work in diving, assist with training new divers, or use it as a stepping stone for the possibility of becoming an instructor, it really reinforces in my mind that the certification/status itself means relatively little and is not a true reflection of experience or capability.

For those stressing about the exam, realize that the standard for success under PADI's umbrella is awfully low.

-Z

I can only speak to the exam I recently took. There were a couple of questions using the RDP and a couple of questions using the eRDPml. One question was multi dive scenario, one question was a single multi-level dive scenario, and a third question that was designed to ensure you actually used the eRDPml by basically asking how many rule alerts it gave you when inputting the dive profile from one of the previous questions.

Overall the entire exam was ridiculously easy and did not test much depth of knowledge at all, but then again, I am bit underwhelmed by the entire PADI divemaster curriculum, as it does not really require or instill much depth of knowledge either....while I am happy to have obtained a professional level credential that will make it easier for me to either work in diving, assist with training new divers, or use it as a stepping stone for the possibility of becoming an instructor, it really reinforces in my mind that the certification/status itself means relatively little and is not a true reflection of experience or capability.

For those stressing about the exam, realize that the standard for success under PADI's umbrella is awfully low.

-Z
I am not familiar with other divemaster programs, and so can't draw any comparison. But when explaining the PADI curriculum to a prospective DM Candidate, I am very clear about what to expect. It sounds like your expectations weren't aligned with the course content and goals.

#1, I explain that the course does NOT teach an array of new and better dive skills, with the noticeable exception of the Deep and the Search & Recovery scenarios, assuming those specialties aren't already earned. Most or even all of those skills should have already been acquired via the prerequisites (OW, AOW, Rescue, 40-60 dives) for the course.

Then I explain in general what the DM course WILL do for a DM candidate:
  • Review and remediate any previously learned skills that need improvement or just a brush-up.
  • Prepare them to be a certified safety assistant for instructor led PADI courses.
  • Learn the PADI professional and instructional system.
  • Learn to teach those courses and elements of courses that can be delivered by a DM, such as DSD or Refresher.
  • Learn to function as an employee in the overall course structure, whether paid or volunteer, including the need to anticipate the needs of the students and the instructors with minimal or even no communication needed.
  • Learn to guide certified divers.
So in brief it is not focused on making a better more experienced diver, it is about preparing a diver to function as an employee at a shop or resort, and to assume an integral role in the PADI instructional system.

I am not familiar with other divemaster programs, and so can't draw any comparison. But when explaining the PADI curriculum to a prospective DM Candidate, I am very clear about what to expect. It sounds like your expectations weren't aligned with the course content and goals.

#1, I explain that the course does NOT teach an array of new and better dive skills, with the noticeable exception of the Deep and the Search & Recovery scenarios, assuming those specialties aren't already earned. Most or even all of those skills should have already been acquired via the prerequisites (OW, AOW, Rescue, 40-60 dives) for the course.

Then I explain in general what the DM course WILL do for a DM candidate:
  • Review and remediate any previously learned skills that need improvement or just a brush-up.
  • Prepare them to be a certified safety assistant for instructor led PADI courses.
  • Learn the PADI professional and instructional system.
  • Learn to teach those courses and elements of courses that can be delivered by a DM, such as DSD or Refresher.
  • Learn to function as an employee in the overall course structure, whether paid or volunteer, including the need to anticipate the needs of the students and the instructors with minimal or even no communication needed.
  • Learn to guide certified divers.
So in brief it is not focused on making a better more experienced diver, it is about preparing a diver to function as an employee at a shop or resort, and to assume integral role in the PADI instructional system.

I had no solid expectations really, and I certainly knew this course would not be training me to be a better diver....in fact I find it funny how many posts are on SB where people more or less stress about the various events they get graded on. In my opinion if one is enrolling in a divemaster cert course, which is considered a professional level certifications, one is basically stating they believe they have the skill set and knowledge to work as a professional in the realm of diving. To then openly discuss that ones swimming or water treading ability is deficient just boggles my mind.

I can't compare the PADI divemaster program to any other as I have not gone through another....the closest training that I have done before this is NAUI master diver. I feel that the NAUI master diver program was more thorough from the standpoint of making me a more knowledgeable and aware diver, and did more to prepare/increase my leadership ability with other divers along with pushed my skill set further than the PADI divemaster program.

I just don't think that the PADI program was all that transformative and it certainly was not challenging....the biggest challenge for me was the mapping project, and only drawing the damn thing as I have no artistic ability whatsoever...I can barely draw stick figures. Briefing the map was no problem, it was just one more dive brief of the many I have given.

I think the issue for me is that there are folks in the club that I am in that seem to make a big deal about the fact they are divemasters and after going through the same program as them I can't understand what their big deal is....its not like they went through some gauntlet to achieve the certification, but they certainly try to make everyone believe that they did. Its sad and amusing at the same time.

I am glad I took the course. It expands the opportunity for me to be a role model such as assisting with classes and such, and since I am already retired from my first career, should I decide to run away to the tropics, the certification enables me to seek out a job where I can be in the water having fun while working....perhaps.

-Z

I am not familiar with the "new" PADI DM program (well, new as of about 8 years ago). I was certified just before the change, when we had 8 tests of 20 questions each (160 questions). I found that the theory was very thorough. In fact, much like my music degrees, a lot of knowledge included that a DM would probably never use (not that that's a bad thing). From the little I've heard, I think the new program may be an improvement as it seems to stress the practical more. I believe the instructor course in some way now includes the theory parts that were removed from the DM program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom