Practice Dive Plan tables ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a question where you have the info in front of you already, but I'll connect the dots for you.

The rule for that 8 min stop for <5 min NDL violation is to stay out of the water for 6 hours.
Look at the lower right corner of the RDP slate - the maximum surface interval provided on the table is 6 hours.
After 6 hours you are now starting fresh, no pressure groups to calculate.

That's a question where you have the info in front of you already, but I'll connect the dots for you.

The rule for that 8 min stop for <5 min NDL violation is to stay out of the water for 6 hours.
Look at the lower right corner of the RDP slate - the maximum surface interval provided on the table is 6 hours.
After 6 hours you are now starting fresh, no pressure groups to calculate.

I am asking in relationship to calculating total dive time. I understand the rules listed on the slate. I was inferred from your last response that a non-mandatory safety stop, 3min @ 5meters, would not be added to ABT based on how PADI defines ABT. I am just wondering about mandatory stops and if you would add that time in...or is ABT in this case still calculated upto the moment you start your ascent to the surface? Is that the moment you leave your deepest depth (in theory) or the moment you finish your deco stop? Still would like to know if one would consider the 8 minutes as part of their total dive time or not.

Edit #2: I was finding it odd that PADI does not consider ascent time as part of total dive time (ABT in their parlance), but then I remembered that PADI still uses 18m/min for an ascent rate, so that is only 2.2min from 40 meters to the surface.

-Z

edit: I re-read your last post, and I understand that you were conveying that it does not matter if it is calculated into ABT or not because you will be out of the water until you are back to pressure group A, so there is no real concern with ABT as there is no need to figure out what pressure group you are in upon exiting the water.

edit: I re-read your last post, and I understand that you were conveying that it does not matter if it is calculated into ABT or not because you will be out of the water until you are back to pressure group A, so there is no real concern with ABT as there is no need to figure out what pressure group you are in upon exiting the water.
Right. At that point it has no bearing on RDP dive planning. The only question would be what IN/OUT time I am putting in my logbook, and that is totally up to you.
Also, you are NOT in Pressure Group A - you are not in any Pressure Group at all. "A" does have some RNT attached.

There is no PG beyond "Z". So I supposed you could say that if you are off the scale in one direction, you need to wait until you are off the scale in the other direction.

Reactions: Zef
I am asking in relationship to calculating total dive time. I understand the rules listed on the slate. I was inferred from your last response that a non-mandatory safety stop, 3min @ 5meters, would not be added to ABT based on how PADI defines ABT. I am just wondering about mandatory stops and if you would add that time in...or is ABT in this case still calculated upto the moment you start your ascent to the surface? Is that the moment you leave your deepest depth (in theory) or the moment you finish your deco stop? Still would like to know if one would consider the 8 minutes as part of their total dive time or not.

Edit #2: I was finding it odd that PADI does not consider ascent time as part of total dive time (ABT in their parlance), but then I remembered that PADI still uses 18m/min for an ascent rate, so that is only 2.2min from 40 meters to the surface.

-Z

Another also - as a general rule, PADI does not include any (intentionally) "trick" questions. While you will be tested on the rules, do not expect to be asked what PG you will be at after violating a rule that makes PG immaterial.

Right. At that point it has no bearing on RDP dive planning. The only question would be what IN/OUT time I am putting in my logbook, and that is totally up to you.
Also, you are NOT in Pressure Group A - you are not in any Pressure Group at all. "A" does have some RNT attached.

There is no PG beyond "Z". So I supposed you could say that if you are off the scale in one direction, you need to wait until you are off the scale in the other direction.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify that....I was missing the point that there is a difference between the time one would be using with the tables and what one would log for time under water. I have been using a computer for so long that I have gotten used to just wrtting down what it indicates for dive time and I have not had to figure out pressure groups in quite a while.

-Z

Don't think of it as what PADI says , think of it as how the DSAT RDP algorithm is designed and applied.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify that....I was missing the point that there is a difference between the time one would be using with the tables and what one would log for time under water. I have been using a computer for so long that I have gotten used to just wrtting down what it indicates for dive time and I have not had to figure out pressure groups in quite a while.

-Z
Chances are the dive time on your computer is something different again. Could begin when you go below 5 ft, and maybe ends again either at 5ft or at the surface.

(Looks like you're bringing my LIKE to POST ratio up a bit here...)

BTW...the PADI divemaster eLearning was a bit lite on the dive theory science stuff compared to the NAUI master diver program I did a couple of years ago. Does the exam follow suit with what the eLearning covered or do I need to pull out my notes from my NAUI course and review boyles law, combined gas law, etc?

-Z

Hmm.... not able to help as easily for you there, as it as has been a while since I had a DM candidate, and I may be confusing some Instructor education with some DM education in my mind. Also, zero familiarity with agencies other than PADI.

But, here goes: There is also available an eLearning Dive Theory Online course that covers the DM Final Exam Part 2 requirements, if completed in the previous 12 months. It is an Instructor level knowledge competency course, and so not only fulfills but also exceeds the DM requirements. I think the more advanced Boyles Law and PP gas stuff is left for Instructors, if I recall correctly. When I took my DM course, everything was print and DVD, nothing online.

The Dive Theory Review portion of your online DM course reviewed applicable content from previous courses - OW, AOW, Rescue. So you should probably get hold of those 3 manuals to study if you are not confident with what you reviewed already - also to familiarize yourself with the PADI courses you may be assisting with, since you didn't take them yourself in the past. That plus the RDP/eRDPml you are learning probably covers the majority if not all of what you need to know. Is there still a Diving Knowledge Workbook for you to use, or is that a paper product that is unnecessary when doing online work? I just took a quick glance at the 60 question Part 2 portion, and there is nothing too advanced.

I'll add one personal note: On one or more of these courses, as kind of a "math guy" I was embarrassed to realize I got a question or two wrong because I forgot to include the 1 ATM of pressure at the surface in my proportional calculations. I treated it as zero by mistake.

Thanks...that makes me feel better about the NAUI Master Diver program I went through and I feel more confident going into the PADI Divemaster written exam.

@SentinelAce, you can have your thread back now.

Cheers,
-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom