Power heads/CO2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe R.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with CO2 power heads for use against sharks? I know 38 &357cal. etc., work but I've heard the CO2 cartridges are also very effective. Where can I purchase one? I am doing some blue water diving in marine 'rich' areas and I'd like to have it along. ( just in case)

either way your killing the shark so i ask you why does it matter if its co2 or 357 / 38 ?

Andy

Im not opposed to using one in an emergency, i just dont see a difference between them.

if theres someone out there with the info please post it, i'd like to hear about it.

Andy

We call them Smokey's in Oz.

Illegal, dangerous and only effective if your a good shot.

Dave

To begin, I haven't seen a CO2 'shark dart' since 1975. Doesn't mean they don't exist though.

A powerhead is a more effective deterrent; you don't have to make a perfect fatal hit, the concussion from any direct strike will send Mr shark off into a spiral or the beast will run off in a straight line. It won't be back.

Finding a good powerhead is tough. Some are made from inferior steel and cause the spent case to jam in the barrel. Waterproof ammo can be a problem. Best practice is to use military waterproof ammo and if you carry extra rounds put each in a balloon (with a tiny puff of air). In fact, it is best to carry all ammo in balloons and load up when on the bottom. Personally, I like the .223 and 44 MAG. I wish they made a .45 because there is waterproof military ammo in this caliber unlike the .44. Non Mil ammo can be proofed with lacquer but it can also harden the primer making it misfire.

There is sometimes a problem with changing over from a regular spear head and powerhead while underwater. Some guys make a sealed plastic power head good for one shot. The slip tip is removed from the spear and the powerhead slipped on (friction fit). This is an inertia design. There are two types of spring action powerheads, strong spring for guns and soft spring for handspear.

Some powerheads have special safety considerations. Most are supplied with an 'arming wire' or safety catch in the form of a knurled knob.

This is a fairly complicated subject and I dislike preparing another lecture series like on the 'compressor' thread. Do some research and ask a more specific question. Thanks.

Pesky

I have a 357/38 but haven't tried it yet. I know of a diver around here who uses the 38 to kill fish. Definetely is overkill,but they don't swim away. I had heard alot about the CO2's but not recently. Makes sense that the concussion is more effective. The directions with mine suggested blank ammo,stating its the concussion that does the work. I appreciate the idea of putting the rounds in balloons too. I suppose I could test it on a piece of suspended 2x4???

I assume you're referring to the Biller head. They used to have trouble with those due to soft steel barrel. Some mfgrs have taken to drilling a pressure relief hole if the barrel is not heat treated. I spoke to Biller about it many years ago.

Shooting a wood block might be fun but won't tell you much except that the head will work ,or not, with wood as a target. What the hey, give it a shot anyway. It will afford you an idea of what to expect and what needs improvement.

I've never shot a blank cartridge so I don't know. A blank should work OK on a head shot where the concussion can break something. The powerhead works through the effect of expanding gases which enter through the bullethole. Possibly, the recommendation for blanks is a weeny, lawyer thing.

Pesky

357 Maximum,223 or 44 Magnum are all about the same in muzzle energy the only true way to compare relative concussive force.Even with this power they do not always kill or even deter large aggressive sharks.Waterproofing is as easy as painting the bullet at the 2 crimp areas(primer pocket and bullet)It is very uncommon for divers to meet aggressive sharks unless they are spearfishing in an area frequented by these sharks.As some sharks are either protected or endangered,it may not be such a bright idea to set yourself up to be forced to commit a felony to protect yourself.

357 Maximum,223 or 44 Magnum are all about the same in muzzle energy

Here are the actual muzzle energies*:

.38 spec------ 200 (ft lbs)
.357---------- 595
.44 MAG------- 741
.223---------- 1282

*Data for Federal brand ctgs

The '100 days' post is not in any way similar to my personal experience. The felony thing is a joke.

Pesky

pescador775 once bubbled...
To begin, I haven't seen a CO2 'shark dart' since 1975. Doesn't mean they don't exist though.

Yea, I remember those. Farralon made them I think.

Tom

Cor-Bon 44mag 1178 ft lbs,357 Maximum(old Dan Wesson cartridge)1158 ft lbs ,223 Remington hunting load 1340 ft lbs........but via 24" barrel at relative same length barrels all are roughly equal.The felony remark was a bit tongue in cheek:wink:BTW most of my dive buddies are either current or former professional powerhead spearfishermen in NE Fla,not proud of them but that's who lives here.The only attacks on divers I'm aware of here were due to the afforementioned circumstances(spearfishing with large sharks known to be in the area or in lo-vis/ lo-temp conditions.Last month was the last reported attack a 10'+ tiger took a direct gillshot with a .223 and a freeshaft and still continued to play naughty until he swam off.

Back
Top Bottom