potting gel for dive computer battery replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chsmoke3

Reaction score
I've got an old USD monitor II dive computer that is in need of a battery replacement. I want to do it myself because I think $75 (what my local dive shop wants) for a $5 battery is a bit of a rip off! So, I need to know what type of potting gel to use, where to get it, and any advice. I have had people suggest using RTV silicone and the like, however, I see problems with the next battery change should I use something like this. I want the real potting gel like the OEM stuff and not gooze or other rigs.

Thanks for any help.

...ask your dive shop if the $75 includes replacement of the computer if they screw it up and it floods after the battery change. Might be worthwhile insurance for some peace of mind unless you're confident it's something you can handle yourself once you get hold of the appropriate goop for the battery.

chsmoke3 once bubbled...
I've got an old USD monitor II dive computer that is in need of a battery replacement. I want to do it myself because I think $75 (what my local dive shop wants) for a $5 battery is a bit of a rip off! So, I need to know what type of potting gel to use, where to get it, and any advice. I have had people suggest using RTV silicone and the like, however, I see problems with the next battery change should I use something like this. I want the real potting gel like the OEM stuff and not gooze or other rigs.

Thanks for any help.

I had the battery replaced in an old Monitor I at a local dive shop, The Brass Anchor, for less than half the $75 your shop wants. Contact Terry Brady (the owner) at tbrady@fred.net and inquire.

Don

Yeah, I can handle it. I've actually got a newer Sherwood Logic, but want both computers so as to have a back up. The local dive shops do not guarantee such work and with the rate for battery replacement you may as well get a newer computer with user replaceable batteries. The last time I had the battery changed the shop in Greensboro, NC (Island Hoppers) were kind enough to put a battery that was a couple of years old in it. I know the batteries probably have a long shelf, but with a premium price I expect premium service. Anyway, the USD Monitor II has been a great computer, I trust it, and I want it back in service for my next dives.

My room mate has an old MonitorII and the battery just went belly up, after just under 3 years (since the last replacement). The "Official Factory Replacement Service Center" is Underseas Scuba Center in Villa Park Ill. They charge $75.

That being said, we decided to give it a try ourselves. It takes a 3.6 volt lithium AA size battery. They are made by Tadiran in Israel, and are purple colored. Lo and behold, it's a normal stock item at Radio Shack ...$12.99

The battery is at one end of the rectangle, and can be dug out without affecting the rest of the computer ... just be very carefull of the wires at the juncture, and they have to be soldered back on the new battery. We didn't have anything better than clear GE SiliconII adhesive, but at worst, we just loose a battery.

So far it's been just fine to 120' or so.

Darlene

chsmoke3:

Thanks for any help.
The battery and potting compound is availablr from RS
Battery is part 593-489
Compound is 448-0220.
The compound is a 2 Litre kit.
You can just use ordinary silicone bath sealer for the battery compartment only.

chsmoke3:

Thanks for any help.

I did mine not too long ago and looked far and wide for retrievable compound for a reasonable price but only found liter and gallon sizes with ugly price tags. I ended up using DAP fish tank silicon. Since the battery is in its own compartment and isolated from the other more sensitive electical components I wasn't too concerned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom