-Potentially Unsafe Observation During Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your profile says dive shop. hmmmmmmmm interesting,

I suspect this what you saw was a drift dive and that;s normal.

Maybe your captain is trying to throw shade on another op

Isn't Little Deeper part of Stuart Scuba? They have a good reputation..... I wonder if this was just a fluke event. I've been on drift dives with good charters like Jupiter Dive Center and had to wait a long time for my ride too, that happens when the divers spread out far and wide on the bottom. Given there was just crew on the boat, it could be the divers you saw were just first to surface.

This post is out of concern for West Palm Beach (Florida) divers potentially considering diving with Little Deeper dive op. I was diving the Breakers Reefs today with my usual charter, during the surface interval we spotted a dive flag in the distance with no dive boats around. The captain pulled up alongside the divers and asked which op they were with and they said Little Deeper. The captain of our boat contacted Little Deeper on the radio, said we found some of their divers, they sounded confused .. Took 20 minutes to show up, didn't have any other drivers on the boat just crew. I was told this is not the first time this operation has had incidents like this.
In the 20 minutes the divers had to wait, did you take them aboard, operators I use would have offered? Seems like they could have easily, accurately, related the story in this time. How long had they been on the surface when you spotted them?

Every drift dive I have done from WPB/Jupiter.. am divemaster has towed a SMB, and I floated my own whenever I was out of visual range of the DM or surfaced separately.

I still it normal for a boat to loose visual line of sight to a group on a drift dive?

I have surfaced on numerous occassions with my boat not visible to me. That does not necessarily mean I was not visible to the boat nor that they did not know where I was. There are many variables in drift diving including current, wave height, and surface visibility, to name a few

How many times have you surfaced with your boat nowhere in the area, 20 minutes away? Is that acceptable to you?

BTW, my vantage point was from a dive boat, not a diver in the water. . They were nowhere in sight.

Last edited:
How many times have you surfaced with your boat nowhere in the area, 20 minutes away? Is that acceptable to you?

BTW, my vantage point was from a dive boat, not a diver in the water. . They were nowhere in sight.
Personally, without a more complete understanding of the facts, I would not post such potentially damaging information.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom