Potential Dive Site and Recommendations for College Scuba Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cr.padlo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy,

Recently the President of my college scuba club has recommended that we should do a dive at Valhalla Missile Silo near Abilene, Texas (Diving Deep in the Heart of Texas - Valhalla Nuclear Missile Silo -). I have some concerns as most of our divers are only open water certified, and not too many have experience. We only have a handful of experienced divers, and those with an AOW or rescue certification. I looked at this dive and it counts as an Altitude, Deep, Night and Wreck dive. Am I being too concerned, or am I right to have concerns about this dive? Input is greatly appreciated!!

Impeach the president. Dives for a club should be tailored to the comfort of the lowest leveled person whether it be in skill or certification. Just my opinion.

Would be a great "Finale" dive after completing AOW. Tell the Freshmen they have to "Earn it".

Impeach the president. Dives for a club should be tailored to the comfort of the lowest leveled person whether it be in skill or certification. Just my opinion.

My club is about 80% tech divers, with most of those having Trimix certification or higher. But, we do have some plain old OW divers in the club. That is what I was when I joined the club. Thank goodness the club doesn't limit dive trips to the lowest leveled person!

My club is about 80% tech divers, with most of those having Trimix certification or higher. But, we do have some plain old OW divers in the club. That is what I was when I joined the club. Thank goodness the club doesn't limit dive trips to the lowest leveled person!

I guess maybe I am thinking in too much of a black and white terms in lowest leveled person. It just seems to me that if you are responsible for a club that by description "most of our divers are only open water certified, and not too many have experience", then it would be best to work toward an outing that benefits the largest swath of folks. Limiting or changing the dive trip seems pretty appropriate to me if there are already concerns, but maybe I am being too cautious.

I guess maybe I am thinking in too much of a black and white terms in lowest leveled person. It just seems to me that if you are responsible for a club that by description "most of our divers are only open water certified, and not too many have experience", then it would be best to work toward an outing that benefits the largest swath of folks. Limiting or changing the dive trip seems pretty appropriate to me if there are already concerns, but maybe I am being too cautious.

He didn't say what other outings the club may have planned. How do you know they don't have 10 other outings planned that are very appropriate for new divers?

Regarding the trip the OP actually asked about, I would simply say that this trip (and any trip) should be limited to people who have appropriate certifications and/or experience for the trip, or are diving with an instructor as part of a certification process that would be appropriate. If that means his club doesn't have enough qualified people to make the trip worth planning, then so be it. But, if there are qualified people who want to go, why shouldn't the club plan the trip for them?

Consider the location. They may not have a lot of good local options, be looking at sites they don't need planes to reach, and going here may not exclude other trips to simpler sites. A trip to let the more advanced divers stretch their legs a bit, so to speak, may be a good thing.

Get the details on the trip, with appropriate cautions. Let people know what they're facing.

Richard.

We do have several other dive sites in the are within a 4 hour drive. I'm mostly just trying to figure out how bad of an idea it would be to allow recently certified divers to join on this trip as it hits on 4-5 other specialties. And I know that altitude alone requires an additional dive table to plan appropriately. Although you do all bring up valid points about having several different dive options for the club.

Your link stalls on me so I did a Google search and found a DiveBuddy.com page on it. From that page:

"The water is 60 degrees, 130’ deep and crystal clear. The silo is 60’ in diameter and everything from the dressing areas to the electric gear winch, lighting systems and the actual dive area is 50-70’ underground. Mark and Linda Hannifin, owners of Family Scuba Center feel that the main draw for divers is the exclusivity and uniqueness of the site. (After all, how many people have ever even seen a missile silo, much less taken a guided tour and gotten to scuba dive in one?) It’s a BTDT (been there, done that) dive that makes for an interesting logbook entry and a definite conversation starter..... (you dove where??).

There is very little available light underwater, so be sure and bring your own dive light, backup dive light and marker light.

With constant 68 degree air temperature and consistent lighting at all times, and without overhead obstructions, the diving is safe and comfortable for certified divers. For divers to have the most fun, however, we recommend advanced certification and cold water experience as well as familiarity with altitude diving procedures and good buoyancy control. Since divers must climb down stairs 30’ in full gear to get to the water and 30’ back up to get out, you need to be in good health and physical condition to enjoy this dive.

Dive Valhalla is not open to the general public, but dives are easily arranged for dive clubs and dive shops by reservation. The group must consist of an instructor or insured divemaster who will be responsible for coordinating the diving activities and maintaining safety divers ready for any problems that might occur."

Leisure Pro has a page on it, too.

My impressions from skimming some reading material on it:

1.) It's really deep (by OW newbie standards) and cold, so divers will be wearing thick wetsuits (or dry suits) and probably a hood and gloves. They'll be weighted to compensate for all that neoprene, which will compress at depth, making them 'heavier' requiring more air in the BCD. This may be new for someone with only warm water experience.

2.) That said, it's not real wide, so horizontally it's a more 'confined water' dive with good viz.

3.) But I imagine it's somewhat dark once in the water? Plus deep and cold, without a comforting wide-open sky. Might not be good for the claustrophobic.

4.) The Dive Buddy page reads like they expect the group to provide an instructor or insured dive master responsible for coordinating the dive activities and maintaining safety divers for any problems that might occur.

That stuff I bolded & italicized is no joke. Sounds like they want you to take on the liability risk as official babysitter. Are you ready to cover that bet?

I'm a fan of educate people in advance what they're getting into, then 'dive at your own risk.' That's not how this reads. You're talking a deep, dark & cold shaft where they'll need to maintain buoyancy with a lot of neoprene on and handling dive lights, too.

I wouldn't bring basic OW newbies to this.

Richard.

Get ready for some walking and stairs with gear. Be sure to ask how big the "staging" area is for your divers. New divers tend to "spread" their gear out more. I looked at Valhalla as a bucket list dive but couldn't justify the drive to get there.

Closer to College Station is Spring Lake in San Marcos. Talk with either Aaron or Taylor about getting your club certified to dive in the lake. There may be a reciprocity agreement between TSU and AM that could help.

Spring Lake Diving : The Meadows Center for Water and the Environment : Texas State University

Dive Authorization Course : The Meadows Center for Water and the Environment : Texas State University

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom